Ravine

It was late evening when they found it. The mobs were just about to start spawning when Daniel was scouting ahead and found it. Instead of making camp, they went to the ravine. The mobs started spawning when they got there, and they started flanking them.

"Oh, Notch. We got here too late." Sam said, backing up to the edge.

Steve pulled out his shovel and started digging the dirt out of the way, making steps down to a ledge in the ravine. Steve then pulled his pickax out and started mining a small room on the ledge. The others saw what he was doing and started mining the room out. Just before a zombie walked in, Steve put down cobblestone in the doorway, blocking it.

"Phew. That was too close." Brittany said.

"Yeah. Let's get some rest." Sam said in agreement. They put their beds down and tried to sleep.

~~~

It was just past midnight. Daniel was sure he was the only one awake. He couldn't sleep in such a cramped space. He crept to the cobble in the doorway and quietly mined it out. He looked around, but didn't see anything other than darkness. He sat down on the ledge and pulled a torch out, emitting light. He pulled his journal out and started writing.

"Daniel. Year: 33. Day: 224

"We got away, barely. We hid, but a couple of friendly people, Sam and Steve, were able to find us. They found our house and my journal and set out to find us. They're going to try to do the impossible: kill the Ender Dragon. We couldn't let them go alone, so we tagged along. We just barely made it away from the mobs and hid on top of a ravine. Hopefully, we can find some ore down here."

Daniel put the book away and looked up at the moon and the stars, then down into the darkness of the ravine. He shuddered and thought of how high he was from the bottom.

~~~

Steve yawned and stretched in his bed. He had a peaceful night's sleep with no visions, or dreams, or whatever they were. The blurriness in his eyes faded and became clear. When he looked around, he stopped his breath short. Daniel was missing from his bed, and the doorway was open. Slowly, he crept out of his bed and nudged Sam awake.

"Sam. Sam, wake up." He said quietly. Sam groaned in his sleep and sat up, yawning. He did the same to Brittany, and she woke up.

"What is... wait... Where's Daniel?" Sam asked.

"I don't know, but the door is open." He said.

"Oh, Notch. Daniel!" Brittany shouted and ran out the doorway.

"Brittany, wait!" Sam said, and they shot out behind her. She stopped right outside and let out a sigh. Lying on the ledge was Daniel, asleep with his book in his lap. His legs dangled off the edge.

"Daniel." Brittany said. He still snored.

"Daniel!" She shouted.

"Wha-- Aaaaaaaaaah!" Daniel jerked awake, slipping off the edge.

"NO, DANIEL!" Brittany shouted, leaping to the ledge. They watched in horror, then relief, as he landed in a deep pool of water.

"Well, let's join him." Sam said, jumping down.

"Does he do that often?" Brittany asked.

"Well, a couple of times." Steve said before vaulting off the edge into the water.

"Oh, Notch..." She said and leaped off the edge. She screamed on the way down and landed in the water. She came up sputtering water out of her mouth.

"Seriously, how do you get used to that?" She asked Sam. He had a darkness in his eyes.

"I had to."