The Cure

Steve fell out into darkness flat onto the ground, his flint and steel out of reach. Sam fell on top of him. Daniel and Brittany tripped over them and fell even farther. Rose stopped before she collided with the two.

"Quick! Block it!" Steve said, trying to get up. Daniel bolted to the portal and placed cobblestone inside the portal frame.

"No one's getting through there anytime soon." He said. He placed a torch on the cave wall.

"Just to be safe, do you have that diamond pickax, Steve?" Sam asked.

Steve handed it to him. Sam walked over and mined out one of the blocks on the frame.

"There. Now, they're never getting through."

"Steve." Brittany said. "What you said in the nether... Was it really true?"

"I meant every word of it. He could have ended it there. He chose his own fate." Steve said sadly.

"But Steve! Marie could still alive! There's still hope yet!" Sam said happily.

"Oh, you're right!"

"Who's Marie?" Daniel asked.

"Bernard's adopted daughter. We thought she drowned when their village was attacked. Instead, Frank had her kidnapped." Sam said.

"No doubt trying to lure us into a trap of his." Steve said. "She was supposed to evacuate with the other children before the mobs attacked, but she stayed behind to fight. We didn't know until it was too late. Then, she got pulled under the water of the moat surrounding the village. We never found her body."

"Hey, wait. It makes sense." Brittany said.

"How?"

"The prophecy. 'Find the girl whose veil is blame'. She must be blaming herself for what she put you through right now, especially Bernard." She said.

"It does fit a piece into the puzzle." Sam said. "'Find the girl whose veil is blame, captured by hate and sorrow and shame'."

"Frank." Steve said. "Of course. She must be alive."

Rose nodded.

"So... Daniel..." Brittany said.

"Uh, yeah?"

"Mind telling me what Frank was talking about?"

"Okay. Okay. I've been brewing strength potions to help me fight. I didn't want to tell anyone because I thought you would think I was... weak."

"The least you could've done was share them with us." Steve said. "I wouldn't have had a second thought either way, though. You are the Brewer of Old. It's what you do. It's nothing to be embarrassed about. You're just doing what you were supposed to."

"I guess."

Steve rested a reassuring hand on his shoulder.

"Hey, wait. Are we forgetting something?" Sam said.

"The Cure!" Daniel face-palmed. "Yeah, I remember."

He put down a crafting table and put the brewing stand on it. He placed three bottles underneath it with water in them.

"I'm going to make some armor and new weapons. My armor is almost gone." Brittany said. "My iron boots broke during the fight."

"I could use a new helmet." Steve said.

"You know what? I'll make all of us new armor. Anyone got any spare iron?" She asked.