Heart eyes

"You're doing it again," Teresa said, nudging your shoulder. "Hmm?" you said, making a non-committal sound as you turned around to face her.
She sighed playfully and shot a small smirk in your direction. "The way you look at Gally, Y/N. It's as though he caught the moon and the stars and brought it down just for you. When you look at him, it's like he singlehandedly killed a Griever and found a way to get us out of here; if I didn't know any better, all he's missing is a white horse, because frankly Y/N, he's your knight in shining armour and there's nothing more you want than for him to sweep you off your feet and bring you to your happily ever after."
You opened your mouth to protest, but not a single sound came out. Teresa raised an eyebrow and gave a knowing smile. She knew she hit the jackpot. "That's kinda exaggerated, don't you think?" you stuttered. Your friend walked closer and placed a hand on your shoulder. "You love him, don't you?" You bit your lip and gave a small nod.
You loved Gally, but you didn't want him to know.
And you were fine with that. You were okay with just waiting by the sidelines, because that's what friends are for. Your bond with him was too special to risk on something that might just be one sided.
One day, you might finally muster up the courage and tell him how you felt. But now? You were fine with the distance. You'd much rather the constant thoughts of "what ifs" rather than regret haunt you for who knew how long.
Because you're his best friend.
And to him, you were absolutely sure, you're nothing more than that.