Chapter 10

Armin's POV

I see Reiner hesitantly stand and make his way over to the door. For a moment he just stood there, not making a sound.

What is he doing?

I see him glance at me, his index finger pressed to his lips. Then, he slowly presses his ear against the door. After what seemed like a long time, a voice is heard outside the door.

"Reiner! Armin! Are you in there? If you so, do you mind opening the damn door?!"

His voice is followed by a few bangs on the door, which caused Reiner's head to move slightly. I couldn't help but chuckle as Reiner's expression changed from cautious, to annoyance.

He quickly moved from the door and banged the door himself. "Aye! Stop banging on the damn door, you ignorant bastard!"

"Well maybe if you opened the door sooner, I wouldn't be banging on the door!"

As they went back and forth, I felt myself smile. That's the Bertholdt we know, I thought.

*****

"Connie, you dimwit, you're burning the MEAT!" Connie frowned.

"Well, excuse me, 'Potato girl', I never knew you were a genius on me-OWW!" Connie yelled, rubbing his cheek where Sasha hit him.

"What are you cooking?? A CAT?!" Sasha frantically threw her arms in the air. Connie pouted.

"I don't see how there would be a difference, since you would eat both!"

There was a loud smack followed by an "OW!" from Connie. I shook my head at the sight of both of them, wearing a slight smile.

Based on my schedule, my position today was cooking duty. This was how the day originally went.

I placed my vegetable cutter down along with the vegetable I was peeling, and walked over to a frustrated Sasha and an irritated Connie.

As soon as Sasha was going to hit Connie again, I grabbed her wrist. I smiled at her nervously as I said "Sasha, it seems like you had an awfully long day. How about you take a break as I help Connie, okay?"

At first, all she did was glare at me, until her I saw her expression calm. When I felt that her arm was no longer tense, I let go.

"Thanks, Armin" she said with a small smile. She turned to face Connie and rolled her eyes.

"Make sure you teach him the basics, okay? It's obvious that stupidity doesn't belong in the kitchen."

Before Connie can say anything, she flipped her pony tail and walked away. Connie crossed his arms.

"Hmph. She's just mad that she got dish duty instead of cooking because they were afraid she'd eat all the damn food!"

Connie ducked just in time from a plate sent crashing to the wall behind him. I sighed.

"Okay, first things first," I said "Wash your hands." Connie sucked his teeth.

"Don't get all detailed with me, Arlert. I know you're the brains of the group, but that doesn't mean the rest of us don't have common sense."

I looked at him confusingly.

"What do you mean?" He shook his head.

"...I'm sorry. It's just, I haven't been thinking straight. Not with all these rumors goin' around."

"What do you mean?"

He looked up at me, his eyes filled with worry and surprise.

"You haven't heard about the Expedition?"