Chapter 20

Connie's POV

The Day before the Expedition

Everything had been clear to me since day one.

I knew that the Expedition was coming. I just had that feeling it would.

That there will be a day that it would come.

And tomorrow is that day.

I gotta tell you man, I had never been this nervous before. I had seen my own comrades, my own friends die before.

And then there's the others.

The friends that died without me being there.

Such as Mina...

Thomas...

I can't bare to think about it.

That's like losing...

Sasha.

Suddenly, a pang of sadness swept over me.

Losing Sasha would be like losing oxygen.

I just can't lose her.

Wait...why am I feeling this way all of a sudden?

I-

Suddenly, I bump into someone.

I look up, only to see Sasha giving me a death glare.

"Watch out, moron!"

Even though my chest still felt heavy, I decided to play along.

"Watch where you're going, retard!"

She scowls.

"Tch. You don't belong in the hallway anyway."

She starts to walk away, until I grabbed her wrist.

"What are you do-!"

I smashed my lips against hers, cutting her off. My eyes were closed, so I couldn't tell you what expression she had on her face. Only that her body tensed up as soon as my lips came into contact with hers, which showed off on how shocked she was. I was surprised myself, realizing that the feelings I had for her weren't just ordinary feelings.

After a few seconds, I felt her relax, and she kissed me back with just as much passion as I did. She wrapped her arms around me, and I pressed my lips harder against hers.

It got heated pretty quickly, so I decided to have a little fun with our first kiss. I acted like I was going to bring her skirt up, so when she yelped, I purposely slipped my tongue in her mouth. She moaned into my mouth, sending shivers up my spine.

Our tongues fought for dominance as they swirled around. I could've kissed her longer if it wasn't due to the lack of oxygen. As we parted, a string of saliva connected from our tongues.

I opened my eyes, to see Sasha panting with her face flushed. It was the most beautiful sight I had ever seen in my life. I smiled at her cheekily as she laughed. Her laugh was like music to my ears. Her laughter died down, ending with a brightening smile.

"You might not belong in the kitchen...or the hallway, but you do belong with me."

I chuckle.

"How do you know that you don't belong with me?" I said, smirking.

"Oh shut up, Connie." She says, grinning while she playfully punches me in the shoulder.

"Marry me," I blurt out. Suddenly, her expression changes.

"Connie, where is all of this coming from? One minute we're arguing, and the next we're having a makeout session? Then this whole talk about marriage. Connie, I'm 16 and you're 15. I don't think it would work-"

"Sasha, everyone knows that when boys are mean to girls, their intentions are to flirt! Just like how everyone knows not to eat a potatoe in front of their instructor the first day!"

She scrunches up her nose and folds her arms, looking away from me.

"I was hungry."

"What I'm trying to say here Sasha is that I...I-"

"That you love me?"

I freeze at the word love. She sighs.

"Connie..."

"...Yeah?"

"I...love you."

I feel my cheeks heat up from what she said.

"I...I love you too, Sasha."

She looks at me and grins.

"I love you more than potatoes. And I love potatoes...!"

"Girl please, you ate one in front of Keith Shadis. I'm pretty sure you do."

We both laugh at the memory.

"Shut up...moron."

"...Shut up...retard."

We both stared at each other, not saying a word.

"...If you marry me, I'll make sure that the theme is potatoes."

Her eyes lit up.

"Oh my gosh! Deal!"

She hugs me tightly, smiling to herself.

"H...hey...I think it's best if we...went to...s-sleep..." I choke out from the suffocating hug.

"Oops, sorry! 'Wouldn't want you to die on me, especially this early! You owe me potatoes, three years from now!"

I smile while playfully rolling my eyes.

"Goodnight, Sasha."

"Goodnight Pota-er, I mean, Goodnight, Connie!"

We part ways, walking toward our dorm rooms. I couldn't help but feel happiness all over.

I just hope that tomorrow wouldn't get in between that.

As I was beginning to reach my dorm room, I felt a presence behind me.

I turn around, only to find no one there.