Chapter 24

Erwin's POV

3:28 AM

Determination is one of the most important aspects of being a soldier.

Surviving is only a part of it.

My surroundings are too familiar for me to ignore. I am surrounded by trees-whom have witnessed my failure one too many times.

I am walking.

I can almost feel their voices echo into the crisp air as the fear in their voices are hidden beneath the cracks of the bark of the trees.

Determination is shielding me- allowing me to walk straight with pride as I choose to ignore the voices of the Lost.

Suddenly, a body drops in front of my feet.

I take one look at the body, my expression held emotionless since this was not the first nor last time I will encounter the dead.

Based on how his body structure was built, I knew that this was a new recruit who hadn't fully developed yet.

A boy.

My doing.

And yet, I chose to ignore it.

I started to walk over the body, until I heard a hoarse whisper come from behind me.

"L-Levi..."

My eyes widened at the familiarity that I recognized from the boy's voice.

I felt his hand slowly close around my ankle.

"I-I...Isa...bel..."

I lifted my leg upward and proceeded to walk again.

But this time, I quickened my pace because I disliked the feeling of goosebumps covering my body.

As I looked ahead, a bright light was shone ahead.

Finally, an end to this madness! I thought.

With each step I took, I felt the woods stretch to purposely tease me of the long walk I had to make in order to meet the other end of the woods.

I squinted, shielding my eyes to keep track of the long distance the bright light had.

But then all of a sudden, mist started to cover my trail. As the mist formed into fog, I noticed that the bright light at the other side had began to faint.

I started to run blindly into the direction the bright light had been, blocking out the voices of the Lost.

My foot had hit something that had stopped the forward motion my body was making, causing me to fall.

I slowly looked behind me, and with each turn I felt a drizzle of rain turn into pouring droplets.

What had appeared before me was a head that had once been attached to its body. The newly fresh blood that was spilled from where it had fallen told me so.

Her eyes peered through my soul as I stared back at her green irises.

To my surprise, I couldn't look away. It was all too real- it made me realize that, though determination is one of the many aspects of being a soldier, survival is the biggest one of them all.

As I continued to stare at the lost depth of her eyes, I saw her lips quiver. I watched in horror as the bodyless head struggled to speak one name that I heard too many times before.

The name, whom I have realized that has been haunted by these two voices of the Lost twice as much for a very long time.

"L-L...Levi Bro-"

I shoot up, my heart ready to leap out of my chest.

I feel my head, noticing that the sticky substance forming on my forehead was sweat.

I exhale, relieved that it was merely a dream; nothing to get worked up over.

"Well, that's new. Didn't know that the Commander can get so easily worked up over a bad dream."

My eyes dart to the door, glaring at the one man that chooses to pester me at a time like this.

"I think you've forgotten that we live in one, Levi."

"And I think you've forgotten that the Expedition starts in less than two hours, sir."

I glare at him, my eyes adjusting to the darkness. He held a blank expression, while his arms were folded across his chest.

"Cancel it."

"Cancel what?"

"The Expedition. I'll have it re-scheduled for a new date. Now, quit testing me, Levi."

If I didn't know any better, I would of thought that Levi would smirk.

But instead, he walked away. I listened until his footsteps became distant, no longer in my capability of hearing.

I looked down at my hands, now clenched by my frustration.

You only dream of what you desire.

And in my dream, I desired a way out.