Chapter 22

Armin's POV

The Day of the Expedition

2:48 A.M.

Hearing those words, I felt shocked.

My eyes widened on how frantic Connie was being. The thought itself made even me suspicious.

Who wouldn't be?

Then a realization hit me.

Suddenly, I felt my heart beat increase as I started to breathe rapidly.

"C-Connie, isn't today the day...of the Expedition...?!"

Connie stops mid sentence.

He looks at me, furrowing his eyebrows. Then his eyes widen just as mine have and he silently panics.

"Armin, the Expedition starts at 5:00! Whatarewegonnado??"

I breathe in and out, trying to soothe my nerves. I put up my index and middle finger and press it to my forehead. I shake my head.

"Connie..."

I look up at him.

"You woke me up and nearly dragged me all the way here to show me a room? Especially today when the Expedition is today-"

He covers my mouth, muffling my voice.

He presses his index finger to his lips.

"Shhhhhhhh!! Did you hear what I just said?! Or are you still tired from your overworked brain? You need to keep it down...!"

"Who's there?" A husky voice calls out from the end of the hall.

Connie and I stiffen.

The voice sounded a lot like Reiner's.

Several moments go by. I started to sweat profusely as my heart beated rapidly.

Suddenly, another figure is shown coming from the room at the end of the hall.

"If you don't show yourself, we will gladly show you our true form."

That must be Bertholt.

I looked at Connie again to see his expression. He was frantically looking around in the darkness. That's when I started to look around.

Where could we hide?

The situation we were in was almost threatening. We were out in a dark hallway, not only breaking the rules for being up this late, but for trespassing a corridor that only our superiors were allowed to walk in.

The predicament we were in was nerve wrecking.

Suddenly, the two figures visible at the end of the hall started to walk towards us.

We were only a few doors down, which made us nervous with anticipation.

Suddenly Connie grabbed my arm and pulled me up.

"WE HAVE TO RUN!" He said, not even bothering to whisper.

The two figures snapped their attention towards us.

"I hear voices! Let's follow 'em!"
Reiner yelled.

Connie and I ran, our footsteps thumping along the hard wood floor.

We made a turn and continued to run as their shouts became distant.

I took another turn and came to a stop when I didn't hear their voices anymore. I bent down and rested my hands on my knees, trying to catch my breath.

"Connie...a...a-are you okay?" I panted.

Silence.

Suddenly, I felt cold air around me. I started to hyperventilate.

Just as I was on the verge of passing out, I felt a cold hand touch my shoulder.

I screamed, but it wasn't long before I felt a sharp pain at the nape of my neck and dropped to the floor.