Chapter 23

Connie's POV

3:07 AM

As I ran down the dark hallway and took a few turns here and there, I finally came to a stop.

I rested my hands on my knees, desperately seeking for a way out of this dark maze.

After having barely any energy left, I patted the wall to sure that I had covered enough ground to get away from Reiner and Bertholt.

Just as I was about to start walking, I heard footsteps quicken behind me.

As I started to run, I felt someone grab a hold of my shirt from behind and tug me.

I started flailing, swinging my arms at anything that I can hit because I was in a predicament where I couldn't even see, and I'll be damned if I was going down without a fight.

Suddenly, a voice I knew too well pierced through the darkness, sounding irritated as hell.

"Connie, it's me! Stop moving around or so help me, I'll be the one you will be running away from...!"

I stopped, my shoulders no longer tense.

As I started to calm down, I felt her grip loosen from tugging on a handful of my shirt.

When she did, I jerked around and grabbed her by the shoulders.

"Sasha! What are you doing here?!"

Although I couldn't see her expression in the darkness, I could almost feel her roll her eyes at me.

"Stop being so dramatic, Connie! I followed you here."

"Followed me here?! Do you have any idea who's chasing Armin and-!"

That's when I realized that it wasn't Armin following behind me that whole time.

"Wait, where is he...?"

I felt her shrug.

"Dunno. As soon as I saw you two run, I decided I would follow you. Afterall, you're the one that had guided me to this...place."

My jaw dropped. Suddenly, the grip I had on her shoulders increased.

"O-owWww, you're-!"

"Sasha, do you have any idea how stupid you are for following me here?? Especially for being completely unaware that now, our lives are at risk?"

I felt something prick my wrists, and it took me a moment to realize that it was Sasha's nails digging into my skin. I felt her shake with anger.

"Connie, I may be stupid for following you here, but you're even more stupid for forgetting that the Expedition starts today!

My eyes widened.

Dammit...how can I forget such an important event...?

Wait a minute...is that why-

Suddenly, my thoughts were interrupted when I felt a pair of strong hands cover my mouth from behind.

"Connie-!"

Her voice was muffled, which led me to panic.

I went from scratching at the hands that were grabbing me by my face, to clawing at the empty space where Sasha had been.

Her voice grew distant as if she was being pulled away even further from my grasp.

But it became even more distant as I felt cold fingers wrap around my throat, the darkness threatening to consume me.

The last thing I heard before feeling myself pass out, was a whisper.

"You know, everything would of been okay...if you haven't taken Armin with you."