Chapter 17

Annie's POV

Silence.

As I averted my eyes from hers, I looked down at my hands.

I clenched my hands so that they were in fists.

They really don't know, do they?

I sighed.

If only she knew.

I slowly looked up at her face, her face still hard as stone.

And I did what anyone else would do.

I lied.

"I'm afraid that I have no clue what you're talking about," I said bluntly.

At first, her face formed into a scowl before forcing a smile on her face.

Even though she smiled at me, I can see it in her eyes that she had her suspicions about me.

"My apologies, Annie. Thank you for your cooperation" she said, before starting to walk away.

Before she walked out, she stopped, her hand placed on the door knob.

"Annie."

"....."

"We're not the bad guys here, okay? Just keep that in mind. We try our very best to keep the citizens safe."

She sighed.

"And so should you."

Before I can say anything, she turned the handle and walked out, shutting the door behind her.

*****

The next day, everyone was called down to meet up at a certain location.

As I got up and did my daily morning routine, I walked out of my room and followed the line of trainees who were to lead the rest of the following cadets to the location.

After a while, we went outside as a stage stood in front of us.

And with their arms folded behind their back, stood one of the most important soldiers in the Survey Corps.

Commander Erwin.

Although I were surprised, if I say so myself, I didn't show it.

I stopped behind a row of the following trainees and held a blank expression on my face.

As the torches burned brighter on stage, it revealed the seriousness of the situation as the Commander looked down at us. He had his arms neatly folded behind his back as he cleared his throat.

But before he even said anything, I already knew what this was all about.

It was all too easy to figure out.

Especially of what happened earlier.

As he looked down at us with stern eyes, he finally began to speak.

"Good evening. I am Erwin Smith. Commander of the Survey Corps. Also known as the Scout Regiment. Today, you will choose your regiment."

He squints at us.

"Let's cut to the chase here. The Scouts need you. We need all the warm bodies that we can get. After the recent titan attack, you now know firsthand the horrors of which they are capable."

I dart my eyes to the left to see Sasha's eyes widen in fear just by the mention of Titans.

I look back at Commander Erwin as he continued to speak.

"As well at the limits of your own skill. However, this battle is aftermath. Humanity needs a new chance for victory. I refer to Eren Yeager."

My body tenses up when I hear his name.

"After selflessly risking life and limb, he has proven beyond a doubt his unwavering loyalty to our calls. Hope lives, in him. Eren didn't just help with the Titan invasion, he has offered the truth of their origin!"

Everyone gasps.

I clench my teeth as I slightly shiver from the goosebumps that had covered my skin.

My objective has been confirmed.

Kill Eren Yeager.