Chapter 11

Annie's POV

Today I had classes about the history of titans.

Ugh, like I don't know this already.

Every year, every soldier in training must take this class to recieve their position when they graduate.

Thing is, I already graduated.

But I take this class anyway.

*****

After class ended, I started to head back to my dorm room, that I share with Sasha and Mina.

And as I started to walk down the hallway, I saw two soldiers that were from the Survey Corps, whispering.

Why are they here...?

As I walked closer and closer, I could hear bits and bits of their conversation.

A place where I should've waited to go to.

A time where I shouldn't have been there.

A conversation I shouldn't have heard.

But most importantly,

a word I wish I didn't hear.

Expedition.

I immediately stopped dead at my tracks. The two soldiers must have found this weird on how they called me out on it.

"Um...madam, are you lost?"

I slowly started to turn around until I was half way facing them.

"No."

Actually, you're the one who's lost.

"Are you sure?"

You just don't know it yet.

I nod.

Annie...

"Well, if you ever need help with anything, you just let us know. Oh, my name is Gunther Shultz by the way."

Whatever you do...

I give him a small smile.

You cannot let them know.

"Oh, and this is Eld Jinn. This might be a surprise to you and your cadets, but we are looking for soldiers who are willing to volunteer to go on the Expedition."

"Oh really?" I asked, making sure that I don't sound suspicious.

"Inform me."

*****

Armin's POV

"The Expedition?" I asked, arching an eyebrow. Connie nods.

"Well, if I ever did hear about it, I definitely don't remember."

"How can you forgot about that? This is something serious! So serious, that Elite soldiers from the Survey Corps were forced to ask for permission to ask us newly recruits if we're willing to volunteer!"

Connie crossed his arms and huffed.

"I don't know about you, but I don't think I'm willing to devote myself for something else other than my duty as a soldier now."

I held my forefinger to my cheek, thinking.

"If I'm not mistaken, or rather, if the rumors are true, it sounds like they're going out there way to ask us to go to this 'Expedition' because they need recruits to...to...."

And then the most terrifying thought came to me.

It was so terrifying that I felt goosebumps instantly envelop my skin.

It was so terrifying, that I felt my eyes widen with awe struck horror as I processed what I was about to say next.

Connie waved a hand in front of me.

"Armin...? Aye, Armin! Are you there? You were just finishing your sentence on how they needed recruits to-"

And at that moment, I cut him off with 4 words and 6 syllables, that would be the start of the change of our lives forever.

"To replace the deceased."