Chapter 21

Armin's POV

The Day of the Expedition

The first thing I hear is a knock.

I wake up groggily and look around to see if Reiner or Bertholt is going to get it.

But surprisingly, neither of them were in bed. Or in the room, I should say.

I rub my eyes to get a clearer view. I look just above the door where the clock was ticking.

It read 2:23.

Knock, knock, knock.

I yawn and slowly get up. I stretch my arms as I stand and walk towards the door.

Who would be knocking on the door at 2:23? Surely it was Reiner coming back with a bruised lip from breaking into another girl's room.

I open the door, only seeing a figure appear right in front of me in the dark hallway.

I yelp a little before responding.

"U-um, yes?"

"Armin, it's me" the person in front of me whispers. I immediately recognize the voice.

"Connie? What are you doing out here?!" I exclaim.

"Shh! Do you want to get caught?" He whisper shouts.

"No, but why did you knock on the door at 2:00 in the morning?!"
I whisper shout back.

He sucks his teeth.

"Bro, you need to quit your complaining! Just come with me! Something...something's off." He says with suspicion in his voice.

"Like how?" I ask with concern.

"Well...I can't really explain it. That's why I need you to come with me!"

I look at him. Even though I couldn't see his expression through the darkness, I could tell that for some reason, I had to go with him. But why did he sound so...scared? I had to find out.

After thinking about it, I nod.

"You'll come with me?" I hear a pint of relief in his voice.

"Yeah, I'll go" I say, closing the door softly behind me.

"Okay, but we have to hurry!"

He graps my wrist and starts to run. He turns a corner, pulling me with him.

"Wait, Connie, not so fast! Someone might hear!"

"Shh. We're almost there..."

We turned another corner and ran down a long corridor.

"Wait, Connie! We're not supposed to go through here! We could get into big trouble for-"

"We're here."

He stops abruptly, causing me to bump into him. The impact causes both of us to fall, which made a loud thud.

"Dammit, Armin...we're gonna get caught if you don't listen to me..."

"Listen to you?! You nearly dragged me all the way here! Then you suddenly want to-"

A light is shown at the end of the hall. It was the only light that was on during this time. It was dim, meaning that the candle must've been burning for quite some time.

"Connie...! Look, there's a light! We better turn around before we really get-"

Suddenly, Connie gets up and grabs me by my shirt.

"Shut. Up. That is the way...I wanted to show you...that...in...there..." He pants, loosening his grip.

"Connie, this isn't making any sense! Only someone with great importance are allowed to walk down these halls. We're not even allowed a step, unless we're given the authority to! So what exactly did you want to show me? Huh?!"

He slowly gets up, catching his breath.

"Whoever is in that room didn't have the authority to enter here, either. That's what I wanted to show you."

"Connie-"

"I saw Annie enter that room."

He pauses.

"Along with Reiner and Bertholt."