Chapter 2

When we walk into my grandma's house, I instantly get rushed at the door by the smell of her famous apple pie; a pie made by an angel. I take off my jacket and lay it on the love seat by the window. Her house was always so welcoming and inviting.
   When you pull up you can see part of her garden in the fenced-in backyard. There she is growing cabbage, carrots, spinach, spring bulbs, and pansies. It's so beautiful out there and this fall weather has always been my favorite.
Her house is kind of small on the outside but opens up when you walk in and I guess it's just the right size for her. It's baby blue with black shutters and a big red door. Grandma says she chose to paint it red because it made her house stand out more.
It's funny how I'm the only one in the family who likes to stay in the background. I would rather go find a nice corner somewhere but my mom and my big sister, Ariel, love to be the CENTER of attention. Ariel is a model and she decided to move away to Cali when I was still in high school.
Ariel is 25 and I just turned 21 four months ago in May. (That's right; GEMINI BABY!) I guess I could be a model too but I'm too shy for that kind of thing.
I mean I have the curves and the abs for it. I'm mixed with Indian, white, and black, if you can picture that. My natural hair stops in the middle of my back and I have DEEP dimples, which I guess I get from my dad..I don't know, never really met him. But enough about me.
I take my Vans off in front of the couch, walk into the kitchen, and see my grandma shuffling around, cleaning up a little. I hear a knock on the door. Someone opens it and with a soft voice says, " Hey, hey! It's me!" My mom and my step dad walk into the kitchen where we are. My step dad is holding my baby brother, Kayden, in his car seat.
My grandma goes over to my mom with a big smile and open arms and mom bends down and hugs her while grandma kisses her cheek. Grandma leans down and softly pinches my brother's chubby cheeks and kisses his forehead. With a grin she says," That's grandma's baaaby right there."
Grandma goes and uncovers the food and I say hey to my mom and Jordan and give them hugs. My mom looks so young. She's 42 and looks my sister's age. She had us really young and was proud that both of us didn't end up like her, pregnant with our first child at 17. I'm glad she's with someone CLOSE to her own age and didn't do like a lot of women in my neighborhood, being with people like 10 years OLDER but I guess age is just a number.
We pile our plates FULL of steak, ribs, greens, mac and cheese, cole slaw and cranberry sauce. Grandma knows how to do it up right!
I grab some red koolaid and a piece of pie and go sit in front of the tv with my plate. Grandma, my mom, and Jordan come in and join me with Kayden. Grandma turns the smart tv on and tells me to find something on Netflix. (Grandma's only 60 so she tries to keep with the times.) Since she lives in a nicer neighborhood, we don't worry too much about her getting robbed and besides grandma's packin', haha!
When we all finish, I help clean up and sit back in the living room. I think this is the perfect time to tell them about something that's been on my mind.
"Ok.. So while we're all here, I would like to tell yall something..I've been thinking about leaving my apartment and moving to Cali with Ariel.."
    There is a momentary silence and everybody is just looking at me. I can tell that my mom and grandma are tumbling the thought around in their minds.
Then mom finally says," Well, you might need to put some more thought into this. I mean you've only been in your apartment for about to be a year. That's a LONG way to go from your family."
   " I know mom but I'll have Ariel.. and it's not like I won't be coming back. I can transfer to a college there! They have one of the BEST Vet schools around! My grades are good enough. I-"
   Mom cuts me off. " I just don't think it's the best decision right now. Give it some time. You're just now getting your feet wet out here. Your sister won't always be around and if something happens, that's a LONG flight and a LOT of money that I don't have to come get you."
   Grandma says," Baby..you might need to listen to your mama on this one. You're TOO young and what you gone do waaay out there with no help? How about give it a lil bit more time and then we can see how it might work out."
   I look down and respond quietly, " Ok, I guess I'll wait." Grandma makes me come hug her. I sit on her lap as she kisses my forehead.