Chapter 18 - We can

V i o l e t t a

Wandering at a park, I kept thinking about Leon. Of course. We were actually good together, and I have to admit, I was happy. Honestly happy. But then, almost a month after we started dating, Ludmila came like a hurricane and tore everything to pieces.

Putting a strand of hair behind my ear, I heard something in the near distance. Someone was playing the guitar, and the melody that came out was more than simply satisfying. It was a melody that put my mind at peace.

I closed my eyes for a second and moved to the direction of the music. My feet brought me to a little bench underneath a tree, where a person was sitting, completely focused on his work, not noticing me.

It was Leon.

My eyes took him in, and I felt numerous feelings taking over me. I had a strong want to just sit next to him, and enjoy the moment while it lasted.

And I did.

No soy ave para volar,
Y en un cuadro no se pintar
No soy poeta escultor.
Tan solo soy lo que soy.

He sang, that amazing voice of his, as I walked closer to him quietly, not wanting to scare him.

Las estrellas no se leer,
Y la luna no bajare.
No soy el cielo, ni el sol...
Tan solo soy.

I was now right in front of him. He raised his head to look at me and a warm smile found its way to his face. He didn't stop playing, just motioned his head to the bench, as if he wanted me to join him.

I sat down, forgetting everything that had happened in the past two weeks, and as if I always somehow knew, the rest of the song's lyrics came to my mind.

Pero hay cosas que si sé,
Ven aquí y te mostraré.
En tu ojos puedo ver....
Lo puedes lograr, prueba imaginar.

He joined me later, in the chorus, and our voices fit together harmonically, making my heart beat damn fast.

Podemos pintar, colores al alma,
Podemos gritar iee eê
Podemos volar, sin tener alas...
Ser la letra en mi canción,
Y tallarme en tu voz...

We finished the song grinning at each other, and all I wanted was to get lost in his eyes.

"I love you, Violetta." He said as if it was such a usual thing to say, yet had such a strong meaning. I felt all breath leave my body and I touched his hand, intertwining our fingers.

I found the words to answer him, "I love you too, Leon."

His eyes moved to my lips and my heart skipped a beat. Kiss me now, before I regret it. I slightly closed my eyes and leaned in slightly, as he did the same.

Kiss me Leon.

It was going to happen. His lips were brushing mine, I could almost feel him kissing me, and I couldn't anticipate the moment more.

And of course, reality caught up to me, waking me up out of my delusional dream.

I woke up panting, my hand finding its way to my lips, where Leon almost kissed me a moment ago. I bit my lip in frustration, disappointed I woke up from something I could never experience again.

It was all a dream, then. He never confessed he loved me, and neither did I. It was a creation of my silly imagination, believing we could work after all, after everything that we've been through.

This was our present now. The only way we could get along was in my sleep. We couldn't be lovers again, let alone friends. I would keep this little dream tied in my heart so I would never forget.