Chapter 22 - Sorry

V i o l e t t a

I almost fainted.

Yeah, that's right.

The man I was possibly in love with was sitting right in front of me, waiting for an answer, an answer to him and I's future, if a future like that still exists. I couldn't help but stare at him, speechless, at a loss for words.

Have I ever thought about it? Yes.

Have I ever thought about Leon asking me this? No, definitely not.

Of course I missed Leon. And sometimes, I regretted breaking up with him. But, I knew it was the right thing to do. Who would still be dating the guy that cheated on them? I would be an obvious idiot if I did, and there was a high chance he would do it again, because you know what they say. Once a cheater, always a cheater.

I missed him though. More than I should, and that was scaring me, every day was becoming more and more difficult not to think about him. I struggled to keep my thoughts away from him, but always failed miserably. And honestly, I didn't even know what I wanted.

I blinked multiple times, trying to come up with an answer. A part of me was screaming like, Yes, yes, say yes dammit!, and the other side, the logical side of myself, was telling me to calm down and kindly crush his hopes of us ever getting back together.

But, which part was stronger?

"Violetta..?" He asked, a sign of worry on his face, taking me by surprise.

My breath hitched and I felt like I couldn't speak, "I-uh, I, Leon, I, uhm.. I'm sorry." I spelled out after a long time, "I'm sorry Leon. I-I can't.." I said and pulled away, snapping out of my dream.

The distance that was so little suddenly became so much, as I stood up and walked backwards. He quickly stood up and moved towards me, but I put my hand up to stop him.

"No, Leon, no. J-just, don't." I stuttered, my voice coming off shaky, and I cursed myself for sounding so vulnerable.

"No, listen, we can talk this out--"

"I d-don't.. Sorry, Leon. I'm s-sorry." I managed to say, interrupting him, even though those words were breaking my heart.

Then, I took the easy way out.

Like a coward, I turned around and ran.

I ran, and didn't even stop when I heard him yell my name, more than enough times under normal circumstances. I ran, and didn't stop until I saw the lights of my house in the small distance.

When I reached the door, I turned my head and looked around, but there was no sign of Leon. I really hoped he gave up on me, at least for today.

I entered the house quickly, and when I got inside I locked the door, since no one else was going to go out. I immediately noticed dad on a couch in the living room watching a movie, and I wanted nothing more than to run to my room.

Tears were now forming in my eyes, and soon enough they were all over my face, running down on it like a river. Had I done the right choice? Was I right to say no?

I tried as quietly as I could for him not to see me, but when I had reached the stairs, he unfortunately noticed me.

"Vilu? How was dinner?" He asked.

Thankfully, I had my back on him, and he couldn't see my face. If he did, I bet that Federico would be dead already. And I didn't want him to be at fault for something he didn't even do.

"I'm a little tired dad.. I'll see you tomorrow, yeah?" I avoided his question about the dinner and quickly walked up the rest of the stairs.

My dad let go of the conversation and focused on the movie. Thank God for those superhero movies on TV, sometimes.