Chapter 21 - Date night?

V i o l e t t a

It was almost quarter past eight, and I was running late.

Late! Once again, I was running late.

I was wearing a golden, sparkly dress that went a little above my knees. My hair was tied up in a perfect knot and yes, for the first time, I could say my make up was on point. It wasn't that usual that I wore so much make up, but it was a first that I would be going to a fancy restaurant like this. Okay, maybe I had been to fancy places two or three times in the past, but nevertheless, important night.

I checked myself once again in the mirror. The girls had done a good job indeed. And what made me happier, was the fact that the dress I was wearing belonged to my mother, when she was still alive. I felt like I violated her personal space somehow, but Olga told me not to worry about it, and that she would be proud.

I really hoped so.

I put on my high heels, and satisfied with the result, I smiled. "I love it girls. Thank you for all the help."

We were actually getting ready since five o'clock, I have no idea why. I did think that yeah, maybe I was a little too much for a friendly dinner, but the girls insisted that 'I should be prefect for any occasion'.

"Don't you think I'm overdoing it, though?" I asked, turning around a few times, as if to spot any wrongs.

"Definitely not. We love a girl that shows off when she can!" Camila protested, and I sighed, agreeing.

"Fine, fine.." I waved her off, "But, you'll get me to the place, right?" I glanced between the two of them.

They shared a look that I found it weird, and turned back to me. "Uh, sure. We'll go with my car." Francesca, answered, and I gaped at her, my mouth slightly open.

"Your car?" I asked in disbelief, "I meant you'll pay for a taxi or something, but you've got a freaking car?"

Francesca giggled, as if it was nothing. "I got it in the summer actually.."

Before I could continue, Camila interrupted us, "Okay, I would so love to talk about Fran's car over here, but you'll be late. And we don't want that." She spoke reason, and Francesca rolled her eyes.

"My car is important." She retorted and Camila scoffed. I laughed at their little banter. They were acting like actual children at times.

We left the room and I took a deep breath before making my way down the stairs. I was anxious about the way dad would react to the dress. It wasn't often I wore something of mum's. To say he would be surprised was the least.

And, let's not forget, I still hadn't heard from him what he thought of Federico and I's little outing tonight.

When they all saw me, and the they adds up to Angie, dad, Olga and Ramallo, they were left speechless. That's what it looked like, since no one was speaking.

Olga was the one who broke the silence first, making a cheesy comment. "My little girl has grown up. Awe, you look beautiful. Maria's clothes suit you well."

I felt a wave of unwanted sadness come over me, and I suddenly had the urge to cry and return to my room, crying all day about mum.

But I wasn't going to do that. Not now. I had time to do that when I came back, now was not the moment for tears.

I just smiled at her warmly, and flickered my attention elsewhere. That elsewhere meant Angie, who had a knowing smile on her face.

She did know that Federico was only a friend, didn't she? Or there was another reason she was smiling suspiciously like that.