Four

DISCLAIMER: - see first chapter -

CHAPTER DEDICATION: This chapter's dedicated to ohsomePANDAs for leaving that nice comment in the previous chapter about a line 'Alden' said to 'Maine'.

AUTHOR'S NOTE: I have a request to all you wonderful readers out there, if you're interested and would like to indulge me. In honour of Alden's first formal "akyat ligaw" to Yaya Dub, I need some nice ALDUB graphics to feature for each chapter or ALDUB music vids. If you have any suggestions or would like to create one for this story, I will greatly appreciate it. I will dedicate a chapter(s) to whoever indulges this request/whim. Anyway, enough of my babbling and let's get on with the chapter...

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

IV.

Omnipresent POV

MAINE FELT LIKE ALL EYES WERE TRAINED on her as soon as she stepped off the elevator on the eighteenth floor. She received the usual greeting given to her when she passed by the reception area, but aside from the usual nonchalant greeting Maine also felt that she was being carefully assessed from head to toe. She tried shrugging it off and mentally psyched herself.

Guni-guni mo lang yan, Meng, she told herself and repeated the mantra until she reached her desk. Maine was starting to feel good about starting her day after that odd encounter on her way in, but then she saw her chair was occupied by none other than the last person she wanted to see this morning.

"Anong ginagawa mo dito?" she demanded, dropping her bag on top of her desk.

Alden looked up from reading the morning paper, a dimpled smile graced his handsome face and sent tiny shivers up and down Maine's spine when she noticed it.

"Good morning to you too," he answered and pushed himself off her seat. He reached for two white coffee cups on the desk and handed one to her, "Coffee?" he offered, dangling the still fresh dark brown caffeinated drink close to her nostril.

Maine gently shoved his hand away, her brows knitted together in irritation. She eyed the aromatic drink housed inside the white cup, but she resisted the urge from grabbing it from his outstretched hand. Just because they had a somewhat bonding moment last night when he dropped by her place unannounced doesn't automatically mean they're suddenly BFFs at work!

"Anong gingawa mo dito?" Maine repeated her initial question. She was mindful of the countless pairs of eyes stealing glances at their direction. Now that Alden told her exactly what majority of the other ladies here at work thinks of her, Maine's gotten doubly conscious when it comes to drawing any more unwanted attention her way.

Alden wasn't too thick in head to not notice Maine was uncomfortable. Her body language was screaming she was agitated, and him being here was only adding on to that. He walked around her desk and closed the distance between them, mindful now of a few prying eyes carefully watching them as he did so.

"Okay ka lang?" he asked, concern laced his tone as well as etched on his face.

"Ayoko lang maintriga pa lalo," she answered.

Alden set the coffee cups back down on her desk before turning back and grabbing hold of Maine's arms, closing the distance separating them even more.

"Diba sabi ko sayo I got your back?"

"And by bringing me coffee to put more fuel to the fire is your way of showing you got my back?"