Thirty-Three

DISCLAIMER: - see previous chapter -

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

XXXIII.

Omnipresent POV

MAINE SLIPPED IN TO THE PASSENGER SEAT of Alden's car and buckled herself up. He was waiting for her by his car when she got off the elevator. She was tempted not to show up after she received his last message, but she needed a ride to her place and she didn't want to take the public transportation home.

"Saan mo gustong kumain?" tanong ni Alden once he was buckled up himself.

"I thought you know where we're going," Maine answered.

Alden made a face and looked at her. "I didn't have a particular place in mind when I invited you to go for lunch with me."

"Eh bakit mo pa ako ininvite if you have no idea kung saan tayo pupunta?"

"You usually pick kung saan tayo magla-lunch," he reminded her.

"I wasn't thinking of going out for lunch today." And that was the truth. Since she was dismissed early, she thought of going straight home and making herself a homemade lunch instead. Mas mura pa iyon kesa kapag kumain siya sa labas.

Alden cocked an eyebrow when he heard her response. "Meron kang baon? Kung meron kang baon bakit ka pa sumama sa akin mag-lunch?"

"Pwede bang mag-explain muna bago mo ako sabunin?" Maine snapped irately. "Jeez, masyado kung mag-jump sa conclusions, grabe," she added more to herself but she made sure he heard her.

Alden wanted to snap back at her, but he stopped himself. He needed to calm down and chill. Walang mangyayari kung pareho silang mainit ang ulo.

"Well?" he demanded when she remained quiet after she backed out of his parking spot. "I'm driving now and I don't know where I'm going."

"Just keep driving then," sagot ni Maine. "You can drive me all the way home then make your way back to wherever you wanna eat," she added.

Alden scowled at her response.

"Seryoso ka?"

"Do I look like I'm bluffing?" Maine turned in her seat and met his gaze. "Ike sent me home early coz he left early to have an early start to his weekend. Uuwi na ako sana before you sent me a text kaya wala akong plans for lunch," she explained.

"Bakit, wala kang lunch date with your boss?" Alden snapped as he merged on to traffice from the parkade.

"Hindi ka pa nakikinig? I told you Ike left early to start his weekend early," Maine repeated.

"Malay ko ba kung code ninyo 'yon para hindi kayo pag-usapan sa trabaho," he shrugged.

Maine was tempted to smack him at the back of the head. He of all people knew she wouldn't get back together with Ike; she told him that the moment she asked for his help to fend Ike's advances off. She'd explain it to him, pero ang tigas nang ulo niya ayaw makinig kaya ayaw na niyang mag-explain on how she ended up going out for dinner Friday night with her ex-boyfriend.

#     #     #     #     #

ALDEN felt like a caged animal pacing back and forth inside his apartment living room. He went straight home after his appointment with a client ended at four o'clock, and since it was an out of office meeting, nobody was the wiser to say whether his meeting lasted until five or not. Besides, after dropping Maine off at her place instead of them going for lunch he wasn't in any sort of mood. If he didn't have any appointments with important clients this afternoon he would've called in during lunch hour and say he wasn't feeling well.