Fifteen

DISCLAIMER: — see first chapter —

AUTHOR'S NOTE: Apologies for the long wait. It wasn't easy getting this next chapter out. I hit quite a few road blocks along the way. I'm setting things up here for future chapters, so I don't want to mess it up. Thanks for your patience and support. Enjoy reading this fic!

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

XV.

Omnipresent POV

MAINE WAS SURPRISED SATURDAY AFTERNOON when she answered her door and heard her godfather's voice asking her if he could come in. This marked Wally's first time visiting her at her place since she moved in to Manila permanently since she got hired.

"Hi Ninong," she greeted and reached for his hand and placed it to her forehead as a sign of respect.

"Hello, hija," Wally greeted back and gave his goddaughter a light pat on the head.

"Napadalaw po kayo," Maine decided to cut through the chase and hit the target face-on. She showed her godfather in to her humble abode and directed him to the living room. "Maupo po kayo," she invited and gestured at the sofa. "Can I get you anything? Water? Pop? Coffee? Tea? Juice?"

"Don't bother, hija, I won't be long," was Wally's very serene reply and sat on one of the armchairs. "Come join me, Maine," he invited and gestured for her to take a seat across from him.

Hairs at the back of Maine's neck stood in attention the moment her godfather asked her to sit with her. Her stomach started doing some crazy gymnastic moves akin to somersaults and other fancy death-defying moves.

"W-what's up, Ninong?" She tried to keep her voice from breaking, but she couldn't help herself from worrying.

"Nothing to worry you about...much," Wally began, breaking into a slow yet somewhat menacing smile as he watched his goddaughter try to keep her composure while seated across from him.

"You sound ominous," Maine pointed out.

"Hindi naman," he chuckled. "But what I want to talk to you about is a serious matter regarding your job."

"Oh," Maine gulped down her saliva. "Please don't tell me na as of Monday I don't have a job to go to," she couldn't help from saying those words out loud.

"Hindi naman," Wally laughed. "You still have a job," he reassured her.

"Do I still have the same job in the same department?"

"For the time being," Wally confirmed.

"I'm sensing a hidden 'but' there somewhere," Maine assumed.

"Tama ka," Wally chuckled. "For the time being, you're still working under my supervision, pero by the end of the week you'll be moved to your new position," he explained.

"And what or where exactly is this new position of mine?"

"Still in the same building but a couple of floors above us."

Maine frowned. "I'm working with Pao?"

Wally stalled for a bit. "Yes and no," he answered after a while.

Maine was confused and concerned. Her godfather was being very mysterious about where she was going to end up working. Danny's two-weeks training period was over as of yesterday, so on Monday he'd be working on his own. She still have her job as an assistant, but not for long according to her godfather.