Fourteen

DISCLAIMER: — see first chapter —

AUTHOR'S NOTE: Happy 18th Weeksary ALDUB NATION!

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

XIV.

Omnipresent POV

DANNY WAS STALLING FOR TIME Friday afternoon after Maine announced that they are calling it a day as soon as the clock struck five o'clock.

"Got plans tonight?" he asked while Maine was busy shutting down her computer.

"Not really," Maine replied without looking his way. "Why?" she asked as an afterthought .

"Ah, kasi I'm just wondering if you have no plans, would you like to have dinner with me?" Medyo nahihiya pang pagtanong ni Danny.

Maine's forehead creased to a frown and she slowly turned her head to look at her trainee. "A-are you asking me out on a date?"

"What?" Danny's face suddenly flushed a nice shade of red. "N-no," he shook his head and let out a nervous chuckle. "Uuhh, I'm just asking you out to dinner as a way of me saying thanks for helping me this past two weeks while training me."

"Ah, cool. I mean, I just have to ask and clear things out between us bago ako sumagot," she explained feeling slightly self-conscious all of a sudden.

"Bakit? Hindi ba pwedeng i-ask out ka for a date?"

It was Maine's turn to flush a nice shade of red, especially around her cheekbones. "Ikaw talaga palabiro masyado," she said instead of giving him an answer.

Danny didn't bring up the subject of asking her out on a date, but he did repeat his invitation to treat her for dinner.

"C'mon Maine, Friday naman ngayon so you can sleep-in tomorrow," he cajoled.

Maine looked like she was having second thoughts. A part of her was flattered that Danny was appreciating her help in training him. Another part of her was telling her if she was seen having dinner with the newbie and somebody from work happen to see them she'd be another fodder for the latest office gossip.

Eh ano bang pakialam mo kung pag-usapan ka nila? A voice at the back of her head snapped. Whether you do something or not, paguusapan ka pa rin ng mga walang magawa sa buhay nila dito sa office. Why sacrifice your chance of having a social life while working? Carpe diem, girl! Cheered said voice.

Maine took a deep breath and smiled up at Danny. "Fine, I'll have dinner with you," she agreed.

Danny's smile could've reached the stars after he heard Maine's answer. A part of him was hoping she'd change her mind and say yes while the other half was kinda iffy about what her decision would be. He was glad she didn't turn him down.

"Great! Isipin mo na where you want to go for dinner," he said then finished up putting his things away.

Maine just smiled and returned to locking up her desk for the night. She paused when she saw Alden walk up to her desk, his newspaper boy bag slung over his shoulder and he had his usual dimpled smile plastered on his boyishly handsome face.

"Ready ka na?" he asked while fixing the strap of his bag.

"Oh, yeah, I'm almost done here," Maine answered.