Twenty-One

DISCLAIMER: — see first chapter —

AUTHOR'S EDIT NOTE: After re-reading this (once I am fully awake) I realized a dialogue from Maine was missing, so here's the edited version with the missing dialogue so the next paragraph after it makes sense when you read it. I dunno why it was missed when I initially pasted it here, and since I did it really late last night I even missed it when I did a quick look-see before publishing the chapter. Anyway, happy reading peeps!

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

XXI.

Omnipresent POV

MAINE STARED AT HER CELL PHONE for the longest time. Ryan dropped her off at her place over an hour ago already. She thanked him and Sam for keeping her company this Friday evening, and also for lending her their ear while she tried to figure out what she did wrong and incurred the ire of Alden.

Wala pa ring text si Alden. Usually he sends her a text kahit na hindi sila nagkikita ng madalas. Even though medyo nagkasagutan sila kanina she still hoped na it wasn't bad enough and he'd contact her once he cooled off.

That was hours ago.

Maine growled under her breath and squeezed her phone in annoyance. She slipped it back in her pocket and walked away from the window overlooking that still somewhat busy street below. It was just after midnight. She contemplated on whether to take the first step and contact him first or wait until tomorrow before texting or even calling him.

"Ano ba kasing problema mo Alden Reyes ka?" She snarled out loud, asking the question to no one in particular and not really expecting an answer.

Her evening with Ryan and Sam was somewhat enlightening to say the least. They discussed Alden mostly since she couldn't think of anything else but him and of what happened earlier after work. She had been hearing rumours circulating the office of Alden's foul mood since she left their department and moved in to her new position, but she didn't believe any of those rumours.

"Sa totoo lang, Maine ha, Alden became a changed man since the day you moved in to your new position," Sam shared with her after they've downed a few drinks and ordered a second pizza and wings earlier this evening.

"Changed how?" Maine's curiosity was irked, and desperado na shang malaman kung ano talagang problema ni Alden that she was willing to resort to listening to office gossip if that was the only way she'd gleam some sense to what was wrong with him.

"Big time jealousy," sagot ni Ryan.

Maine couldn't help from cocking a questioning eyebrow at her two companions. Alden jealous? Kanino?

"Sa boss mo if you're wondering who he is jealous of," Ryan added.

Alden was jealous of Ike? What for? Ike was her boss, who also happened to be an old flame of hers from way back in college. He wasn't the love of her life, and really if Ike wanted to be a part of her life again as more than just his trusty PA, Maine doubt she'd be interested in rekindling their past romance given that she already knew a relationship with Ike always came in second to his career.

Letting out a strangled sigh, Maine started turning the lights down in her living room when her doorbell rang. She jumped in surprise since she wasn't expecting anybody to be dropping in on her this late at night. Jules wasn't even home this weekend; she told her she'd be spending the weekend with some of her girlfriends out of town and won't be back until Sunday night so it couldn't be her that was ringing her doorbell.