Twenty-Four

DISCLAIMER: — see first chapter —

AUTHOR'S NOTE: HAPPY EASTER! Sorry for the delayed update. Work and other personal 'real life' stuff kept me from working on this chapter, also I'm still struggling with Writer's Block hence why this chapter's a short one. I thought of adding more to it, but each time I do it stopped making sense so I ended it where my muse told me to end it. I hope you enjoy it. And keep on guessing who sent Maine the gift, I enjoy reading your guesses.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

XXIV.

Omnipresent POV

MAINE COULDN'T STOP LOOKING at the box she set aside on her desk. Aside from the obvious fact it was wrapped in a shiny as well as bright red gift wrapper with gold ribbon, it was taking up quite a big spot on that particular side of her desk. She kept on glancing at her cell phone too, contemplating on whether to text or call Alden and to berate him for even thinking of joining this Secret Valentine craze in the office, but Ike made sure her workload for the day wouldn't give her time to make any personal calls, which was fine with her.

Five o'clock couldn't come soon enough as far as Maine was concerned. She still had a few things to look after, but they were all minor stuff so she set them aside to be looked at in the morning.

Maine didn't even bother waiting until it was officially five o'clock before she shut down her computer, forwarded her phone to voicemail and grabbed her bag from the bottom drawer of her desk. She poked her head in Ike's office and told him she was leaving five minutes early. She didn't wait if he acknowledged her and hurried it out of the office. She decided to make a stop at Alden's floor, but as soon as the elevator doors opened she was greeted by Alden and at least a few other people from her former floor stepping in to the elevator.

"Hi," Alden smiled and stood beside her, reaching over to the panel to hit the parkade level they needed to get off on before everyone else crowded into the cart.

Maine acknowledged his greeting with a smile and a nod, but she bit back her tongue from saying anything else especially since they weren't alone. She thought she'd catch Alden at his workstation to confront him about the gift he sent her, but he seemed to have the same idea of leaving working early today hence why he was right outside the elevator door when she got to his floor.

Soon the elevator started to empty once they hit the main floor as well as the first level parking. Maine thought of confronting him then, but changed her mind and waited until they were in the privacy of his car.

Alden knew something was up from the moment he joined Maine in the elevator ride down to the parkade. He thought she'd say something once the elevator emptied, but she remained quiet all the way back to the car. He thought he'd have to pry it out of her what was bothering her, but he didn't have to wait long before Maine spoke.

"Alam mo, nakakainis ka," she accused.

"Ano?" Alden was confused. What did he do?

"Huwag ka ng mag-pretend na hindi mo alam," she paused and rummaged through her bag until she found what she was looking for and took it out to show him. "I thought we agreed we're not going to give each other presents and join this Secret Valentine insanity, hm?" she demanded.

 "I thought we agreed we're not going to give each other presents and join this Secret Valentine insanity, hm?" she demanded

Alden stared at the red covered box with lacy ribbon that Maine was holding out for him to see. Ryan and Sam mentioned to him that Maine received a gift today and even accused him of caving in to join the rest of their office's insanity towards this Secret Valentine. He thought it was just a rumour, but now Maine was holding the proof out to him.

"Kanino galing 'yan?" he asked.

Maine dropped her hand and stared dumbfounded at her companion. "Are you shitting me?"

"What?" Alden frowned, especially at her choice of words.

"Hindi nga, Alden, seryoso ako."

"Seryoso din ako, Meng. Hindi sa akin galing yang regalong 'yan," he insisted.

Maine looked back down at the mystery gift and frowned. She was sure it came from Alden as a form a prank since they both were making fun of their co-workers na masyadong naloloka whenever they receive a gift from their so-called secret admirer.

"Eh kung hindi sayo galing ito, sinong nag-bigay sa akin nito?" she questioned.

Walang masagot si Alden dahil maski din siya hindi niya alam. But like Maine, he too wanted to get to the bottom of who Maine's secret admirer was.