Thirty-Four

DISCLAIMER: - see previous chapter -

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = 

Omnipresent POV

MAINE MADE A NOISE IN HER THROAT as she stretched and got settled. She slapped her suddenly clumpy pillow hoping it would unclump and get back to being comfortable to sleep on. Hampas siya ng hampas sa unan niya trying to get comfortable again, pero hindi siya mapakali at galaw ng galaw. She finally found a perfect spot to rest her head and was falling back asleep when she heard a loud drum beat almost akin to the sound of a beating heart. Akala niya na nananginip lang siya, pero palakas ng palakas ang tunog at tila yata nahihigaan niya kung saan nang gagaling yung tunog.

She was going to ignore the sound pero merong biglang umingit and this time the sound came from her other ear, the one not pressed down to her pillow, or at least she thought it was her pillow she was laying on.

Maine quickly bolted from where she lay, but she was prevented from completely bolting away when something bony tightened its hold around her shoulders, squeezing her down tightly until she can hardly breathe.

She tried to remember exactly what happened last night and where the hell was she? Now that the sleep fog cleared a bit in her head she knew she was using a human pillow. But who was this human pillow that was suffocating her at the moment?

Maine thought back to the events of the previous evening. She remembered asking Ryan and Sam a huge favor: she asked them to drop her off at Alden's dahil gusto niyang sorpresahin ang gago at para na rin makapagusap sila ng walang audience masyado. She made some pasta and brought it along with her para hindi na mag-luto si Alden. Tapos nilang kumain she stayed over to watch some cheesy chick-flick movie na alam niyang ayaw ni Alden panoorin, but she convinced him anyway so they ended up watching and then...she fell asleep.

Okay, but that doesn't explain why I am wrapped in a choke-like embrace by Alden, Maine thought and tried to pry herself free of Alden's death-embrace on her.

Alden pried one eye open after he felt Maine hit his chest hard then settled back to sleep, only to try and bolt from where she lay half sprawled on his chest, one arm thrown carelessly across his abdomen in a semi-embrace that he liked, kaso nga lang nagising siya and naalala kung nasaan siya siguro kaya biglang tayo siya. He didn't want to let her go just yet so since he was hugging her to him, he just steeled his arm around her and brought her back down against him.

Maine tried to free herself from Alden's hug. Nasasakal na siya and to be honest, kahit na gustung-gusto niya ang feeling na yakap-yakap siya ni Alden, a part of her still feels na hindi dapat ganito ang ayos nila. So what if they kissed and said kiss was one of those kisses that made her toes curl and the butterflies in her stomach flutter like crazy during, after and every freaking time she thinks about said kiss? She'd been kissed before, thank you very much.

But none of those kisses made you react the way Alden's kiss made you react, said an annoying voice inside her head, causing Maine to glare at no one in particular.

Hindi pwede ito, she thought to herself and redoubled her effort na makawala sa yakap sa kanya ni Alden.

"Alden..." she hissed as she struggled to unwound his arm around her. She knew he was awake dahil kung tulog siya eh hindi ganito ka-tight ang pagkayakap sa kanya; she could've easily disengaged his arm around her with no problem. "Alden, alam kong gising ka," she growled and tried yanking his arm off her once again.

Alden mumbled something unintelligible, his arm tightening some more around her while he tried to look for a better position and continued sleeping. But of course he wasn't really asleep. He was pretending to be asleep kasi ayaw pa niyang paalisin si Maine sa tabi niya. He kinda liked having her use him as her human pillow.

"Alden, ano ba?" Maine started jabbing him on the side when he wouldn't release her.

"Aray, aray!" Alden complained when one of her jabs landed on a sweet spot on his side and he was forced to break his hold on her. "Ang sakit ha!" he complained rubbing the area she hit with his other hand.

"Serves you right," Maine scoffed then pushed herself away from him. She stood up and headed for the bathroom without as much as giving him a backwards glance. Hindi niya ipapakita sa kanya exactly how affected she was by the intimacy of their position on the couch when she woke up. Granted kilig to the bones siya when she realized she was wrapped protectively in Alden's arms, pero short-lived lang yung kilig na yun when she realized na outside her fantasy world eh chances of Alden and her becoming a couple was a fat chance. So they shared a toe-curling kiss that was witnessed by their coworkers and her godfather; it was just a kiss and she was pretty sure Alden kissed a helluvalot of girls before her and it all meant nothing to him.

Alden watched her leave the room, an amused grin on his lips as he did so. Waking up with Maine in his arm felt so damn right he wanted it to become permanent, and she didn't seem to mind waking up in his arms too, until she started wrestling his arm off her para lang tumayo.

He needs to convince Maine that they are meant to be together. Clearly there was an attraction between them, and they got along just fine. Sure madalas silang maginisan, but that was part of what makes a relationship thrive: disagreements.

Now he just need to convince Maine to give them a chance at forever...

  = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = 

AUTHOR'S NOTE: Sorry for the short chapter. I tried to finish this before end of September and post the update, but I kept on revising this chapter 'coz it didn't want to make sense. Thanks for still supporting and not getting tired of waiting for the update. I can sense that the end for this story is near, hence why I am having a hard time getting the chapters out ASAP. I hope you enjoy this latest chapter update.