Chapter 20

When I woke up, he was gone. No surprise there.

School was a drag. Every period seems to want to kill me. Everyone started to annoy me, and the girls picked up on my behavior. I didn't know what to think. Did Jaxon leave again because he's scared of getting to close? Or did he leave because everything he said was an utter lie. Sighing I closed my locker and basked in the hallway. The day was done.

"ALLY!" I heard Bri yell, her voice ricocheting across the hallway into a small echo. I smiled and greeted Bri and Maddy, who was walking beside Bri, as they came closer.

"Hey, girls. What's up?"

"Want to sleep over tonight? Girls night?" Maddy asked. I smiled and nodded.

"That would be great." After the rough month I had I really needed this. We haven't had a girls night in a month or so.

"I was thinking face masks tonight ladies." Bri said linking her arms through me and Maddy's and walking us down to my car. "OOO and romcoms, and nails, and ooo boys."

Maddy glanced at me and I looked down. "Okay maybe not boys, but maybe like celebs. Ooo, can we just, ugh, the Hemsworth brothers, ladies."

I didn't really think about the fact of sleeping over at Maddy's. That involves Jaxon. I rubbed my face as we got into my car and started the car and buckled up.

"Sorry. I forgot about everything Ally, but I promise tonight will be fun. We haven't done one in a while. It's well needed." Bri smiled at me from the back and pinched my cheek. I let out a laugh and slapped her hand. I looked at Maddy and she nodded her head softly. She knew I needed to talk about Jaxon, and I love how much she is here for me even though she really isn't found of him.

A true best friend.

When we got to Maddy's, Jaxon wasn't even there. We made our way up to her room and decided on some after school snacks and a rom com. It was around dinner time when we finished the first movie and when Maddy's mom came home and started cooking the lasagna.

The girls then turned to me and closed the door. "Okay you seem more down about life today. What happened?" Bri asked sitting next to me on Maddy's bed.

"Is it Jaxon?" Maddy asked softly and sat on the other side of me. I groaned and nodded.

"Yes. He makes me so confused about myself."

"What did he do?" Maddy questioned.

"I had to pick him up last night. He was drunk and couldn't drive."

"Did he call you?" Bri asked.

I shook my head. "No his friend did. So, I went to pick him up and when we pull into my driveway, he confesses that he's liked me since he saw me at your," I looked at Maddy, "parents' wedding. He said he's like me for 3 years and he sleeps with the likes of Genny and Lisa because he doesn't care about them. If he was to lose me he would never be the same. Then I wake up and he's gone again. He's like this giant ass mystery and I hate it."

A tear slid down my face and I wiped it away with the back of my hand. Maddy looked at me in sympathy and gave me a hug.

"Shit. Ally just swore Maddy."

We all let out a laugh and I shook my head. "Sorry."

"Don't be sorry for your feelings Ally." Maddy said looking me in the eye. I sighed and shrugged.

"I mean. He's a guy right-"

"Well he's a different type of guy. Bad boy player."

"I heard he's trying out for baseball this year."

"Really?"Maddy and I said in unison.

Rumor is Jaxon played when he was younger but stopped 4 years ago. Now that I think about it I know why he did. Baseball season is in 4 months. It might be a stretch of a rumor.

"How would you know this?" Maddy asked.

"She's Bri, Maddy."

"True."

"Well hey!" Bri said feigning hurt. "Anyway, Janet saw Jaxon and Brad, the captain of baseball, getting into an argument. Then Austin stepped in and told Jaxon he wouldn't be any good. Jaxon then walked off saying, 'you'll see'. So yeah, he's joining."

Very unlikely but hey, it's Bri for us. "Anyway going back to my thing," I started, "he's a guy so he doesn't really like commitment right? And that's what I want so he's trying to distance himself right?"

Maddy and Bri shrugged. "Like we said before he's different. He's all brooding, and bad boy player. He might not even think like a normal boy." Bri said.

Maddy gave her a flat look and I laughed. "I get it. He's a different kind of confusing."

The girls patted my back and Maddy's mom called us down.

When we were walking down my phone started to ring. I stopped at the bottom of the stairs, beside the kitchen entry way and answered it. "Hey, daddy." I greeted my other dad.

"Hey, pumpkin." He sounded bad. Jaxon came in the second I started my next line, he stared at me while I stared back.

"What's wrong daddy?" I heard him sigh and my eyes grew wide.

No.

Jaxon looked at me in worry and took a hesitant step forward. "Pumpkin ,your mom."

"No." I sobbed out. "Not yet."

"She's on her way there, pumpkin. I'm sure if you get here, you might make it."

"No. No... NO." I sobbed and Jaxon quickly came to me and everyone came to see the commotion, they all looked at me in worry.

"Pumpkin, I'm sorr-" I cut him off and tossed my phone rubbing my hands over my face. I quickly ran up the stairs to grab my keys and quickly dashed out of the house. They all called after me and I just got into my car and drove off. I soon heard a motorbike engine and saw 3 headlights behind me. I sped off down the road, my heart beating too fast and I quickly pulled up outside of the cancer building. I ran up the 3 flights of stairs and down the corridor to her room.

My other dad stood at the foot of the bed, the doctor on her let monitoring things and my dad was by her side holding her hand. "Mommy." I wimped out. I could barely see right with my eyes being too blurry with tears.

My mom's dead eyes looked over at me and my dad's left to room. The doctor stayed for a second as I walked over to her.

"Mom?" I asked and I laid down beside her. She wrapped her arms around me and rubbed my bicep softly, too softly. As if she wasn't even doing it but she was. I cried into her arms and when I sat up she gave me the weakest smile.

"Mom, you can't." I whimpered out. She gave me a pat on the thigh and held my face softly.

"Baby, I love you. but I can't hold on any longer."

"But it's almost Christmas. Mom, it's so close to our favorite holiday."

"Then you will make it extra special this year won't you."

"Mom." I choked out. "Mommy."

"I got to go baby. Understand I have to leave you. Know I will always love you, baby. Always." I let the tears fall as fast as they could as I watched and listened to everything ticker out.

"Mom?" I whispered when everything was a steady beep. Everything but her heart. "Mommy."

It was only next Friday. One week. 7 Days. 168 hours until Christmas, and I lost the one person I told everything, who understood everything, the only one to know how I love Jaxon Anders.