~4~

Max's POV-

I thought I had the decision I would stop fighting. That I would leave this life behind and never look back again. Then again, this, fighting, used to be my life and you can't just stop your life and change it so suddenly.

Though I did put this part away and haven't thought of it in a while and I finally thought I could go without fighting, but I couldn't have been more wrong. Fighting is my drug and I'm addicted to it. Once you're in this life there's no turning back, everything that has happened here will soon come back and punch you in the face.

After what happened in the lunch room, I have no doubt that the followed me here, but then again, they may not have. I can only hope they didn't. Not only that, but I bet they are making assumptions of me and my life after that, too. They can assume all they want, but they will never get the whole story unless I tell them. There's the story of her, then there's the one of him.

At one point in my life, the only reason I fought was for her. Then another point in my life, I only fought to get away from him. I haven't thought of him in awhile, I put him in the back of y mind in a locked chest. But her. I think about her every day and she's the reason I locked up all my feelings and emotions and walled up my heart.

I stand in the back of the extremely crowded room. The place smelled of smoke, alcohol, and sweat, all very familiar. I've missed this. I didn't realize how much I did until I walked through the leading here. All the yelling and fighting, I've missed it all so much. And that makes me feel like I should be rotting away in the depths of hell. 

Adrenaline coursed through my body just from standing there. I couldn't help but let the devilish smile tug at my lips. I cracked my knuckles and readied myself for my fights. Everyone was surprised to here the return of the Phantom, they all thought I either just quit, which seemed unlikely, or I had been murdered, which seemed like the big one everyone went for. I don't blame them, street fighter just don't quit. It basically unheard of.

I only have two fights tonight. Both newcomers, both people thinking they have a chance at beating me, the ones stupid enough not to do their research first. I'm the underground undefeated champion. Haven't lost a single fight once. Not even in my starting days.

I could easily wipe them out and not waste a breath on any of them, but I came here to get rid of all my pent up rage I've been pushing away. The anger I constantly feel is always there, it never leaves me. My past and the people I've let down are continuously there causing me to blame myself and others.

"Fuck," I whispered to myself. 

I'm stupid. Why did I come here? Why did I come back to this? I could have found other ways to get past all this, but I didn't. I can't back out now though. People are expecting me to fight and if I don't fight they are going to know something's up and will most definitely call me out for it, too.

I heard my name get called and everybody started to yell and holler for me, for my return. I balled my hands into fists as I began walking past people, taking in all my surroundings. I spotted a group in the shadows in the back against the wall. I squinted.

 Logan?

No, it couldn't be him. It's just somebody who looks like him. He wouldn't follow me here, no, he wouldn't want to see me afterwards either. Right?

I brushed it off, even though it was still a thought in the back of my mind, and continued to walk up to the ring where my opponent was already waiting.

It's a girl. I'm surprised, honestly. I haven't a fellow female fighter in a awhile. After about ten wins in my first year, they all got the idea I was just too tough and most of them stayed away, letting the guys go get their pride bruised for losing to a girl.