Chapter 38- The Light(s)

I groaned irritatedly when I heard something clatter downstairs, and I sat up in my bed, glaring at the door.

"What on earth?" I wondered out loud, climbing out of the covers cautiously to avoid waking Seto, who had fallen back asleep. I peeked through the doorway in time to be smacked, falling back painfully. The attacker immediately tackled me, muffling my shouts with his hand.

"Sir, we found Verona!" He shouted. I widened my eyes and squirmed under his weight as he looked back down at me and smiled. "Hi Samantha, remember me?" Brayden asked, beaming at me. I bit him in response, making him cry out in pain and fall back. I wasted no time in scrambling to my feet and pinning him to the floor.

Seto's POV

"Where are the others!?" I rubbed my eyes and sat up a little at the commotion going on, then I widened my eyes in alarm. Samantha had a man dressed up in black on the floor, tensed as if ready to punch him. The young man waved his hands in front of him panickedly.

"E-Eric already has them!" He exclaimed. Samantha growled, her cat ears flattening in anger as she bared her teeth.

"Why did you come!?" She hissed.

"J-Jax!" I sat up abruptly, my mouth open in disbelief. How did these guys know Jax?

"Brayden!" I stiffened when I heard footsteps thumping up the stairs, and Samantha glared down at who I'm guessing was Brayden before springing to her feet and leaping on the bed, snatching me up in a loose fist before flinging the window doors open and jumping out, landing with a grunt before she started running.

"Wh-what's going on!?" I shouted as she slowed long enough to drop me in her pocket before continuing to run.

"The others got captured!" She replied breathlessly, sprinting into the forest and leaping over a fallen log. I fell back in the bottom of her pocket, losing my balance since she was running. The others... Got kidnapped? Were they ok? Were we the only ones free? Is Jax alright?

After a few dizzying minutes, she finally slowed to a halt, panting heavily and obviously tired. I finally got up and peeked out of her pocket, seeing that we were no where near the house. I realized how fast Samantha's heartbeat was, so I quietly looked up at her with concern, seeing her exhausted and defeated expression.

"... We need to keep moving." She wheezed, starting into a striding walk. I tugged on her shirt in protest.

"You need to rest." I replied.

"I will when my friends are safe, or when at least one is far away from that bastard." I blinked in surprise. I had never heard Samantha talk like this before.

"Wh-which one?" I joked half-heartedly, stifling a yawn. She clenched her jaw, swerving past a tall plant.

"All of them, they're all going to suffer my wrath." She snarled quietly. I fell silent, worrying about the others as she kept fleeing from the house, deeper into the forest. I shifted nervously when I realized it was getting darker. Had we really slept that long?

"... The steak." I murmured to myself. They must have put a sleeping dote in it somehow. No wonder I was so tired. I then hesitantly cleared my throat.

"S-Samantha, it's getting dark." She glanced up at the setting sun that was visible past the green canopy of the trees, not saying anything. "If we're going to rescue them, then you need to rest Samantha." I pressed. She finally stopped walking, breathing heavily as she looked at the colorful horizon, then quietly sighed.

"... Alright." She mumbled, going over to a nearby tree with huge roots before sitting on the soft looking grass and leaning against the trunk. I leaned against her collar bone, feeling her heart tapping rapidly in brief quick "th-thump-th-thump"'s. She distractedly wiped her forehead with the back of her arm, sniffing in the crisp air. Her breathing gradually grew slower, but her pulse rate didn't slow. Concerned, I gently prodded her.

"You ok?" I asked softly. She glanced down at me with a slightly dazed gaze, her eyes a lot more reflective than normal.

"... No." She croaked. I mentally slapped myself at my ignorant question, so I quickly added to it.

"I- I meant your heartbeat, it still hasn't slowed down." She didn't respond, only sat back and looked up at the trees, running her tongue over her chapped lips. I mentally cursed myself when I realized that she was dehydrated, and I wasn't able to summon water. Which I tried. It didn't work. I growled in annoyance and rested my head back against Samantha, seeing that it was almost night time.

Eventually, Samantha's ragged breathing went fully normal, down to silent and gentle breezy. I realized she had fallen asleep, and I gently rubbed my cheek against her, sighing in concern as I shifted downward deeper into her pocket, closing my eyes as I curled up in the dark cramped place.

Were the others ok?