Chapter 7 - A Make-believe Cupid?

Chapter 7 - A make-believe cupid?

Something tickled her nose. She wrinkled her nose to get it away. With a faint complaint, she attempted to swat it away. Her hand hit something hard and hairy.

“Mmm,” a voice muttered. Her eyes shot open. She was snuggling close against Sion. Panic followed as she attempted to put distance between them. Her hands slapped against his face and torso until; finally, she fell down from the bed.

"Ouch." Pain erupted in her head. She groaned. Yuck. A sour taste lingered in her mouth, and her head dunked. Was she going to feel like this every morning?

“What are you doing?” Sion was leaning over the edge of the bed, watching her with an amused expression.

“My head hurts.”

“Yeah. Minor side effect of the drink… Roseanne did tell me about that." He rolled away from her view for a brief second. "Apparently, it might help to drink more."

Unique surveyed the bottle he was holding. No way. She wasn't going to go near that vile drink again.

With her lips planted firmly together in a straight line, she rose from the floor. The spinning had stopped at least. She walked to the bathroom, supporting herself against the wall.

As she washed her face, she remembered what Sion had told her last night. He’d mentioned something about saints… They should find out more about these saints and, perhaps, more about human beliefs too. Great. More time alone with Sion. She pouted at the mirror. Had her father noticed she was gone yet? She didn't think so, time moved different down here. She couldn't explain it. But the hours they've spent on earth, were probably only minutes in Haims.

The water helped tremendously on both her head and the taste in her mouth. She looked down at her clothes. Her dress was slightly wrinkled, but nothing else seemed to be wrong. Well, apart from the fact she showed a whopping amount of all her assets. But Unique didn’t think she could do so much about that.

The book! She needed to look in Sion’s book about human beliefs. She hurried out to him. “Sion, I need that thing.”

“Sorry, my thing is tired…” he replied with his eyes closed.

She swatted at him. “Sion! I need the book.”

“Ugh!” He groaned and turned away. She hit him again. “Go get it yourself. It’s in the bag.” He buried his face in the pillow.

She stuck her tongue out at him, before getting the book. There was no place to sit, so she slid down on the floor with the book in her lap. Flipping through it, she started to read.

It was astonishing how close the humans were to the truth, and yet still so far. The Gods and Goddesses of every mythology were similar to Haims. Only one belief was slightly off.

She read with fascination about the religion with only one God – the almighty Jehovah. In a way, she could see the sense in the faith of only one God above all—it was close to what Goddess Lif was in Haims. However, Grandmother Lif had created all of the other Gods to help with the universe, and because she was lonely. Not to mention that the infinite universe was a pretty sizeable mouthful if you wanted to do your job properly.

Perhaps that was the function of the Angels in that belief. Unique flipped another page. On the other hand, maybe it was just easier to believe that one sentient possessed all the power in the world. She knew from herself, that remembering all the Gods of Emotion could be quite difficult.

Out of all the Gods, she was most fascinated by all the different explanations of what the Goddess of Love. Amora would be highly amused if she read all the ridiculous names they had given her.