Chapter 10 - Unique as a Gypsy

Chapter 10 – Unique as a Gypsy

”So… I have a slight query,” Annelka said while she placed her cup on the small table. They were sitting outside a small café, looking at the people that went by.

Unique raised an eyebrow. “Yes?”

“That thing you did to me.” Annelka sipped from her tea. “What was that?”

Unique widened her eyes. The woman had noticed. Oh, damn. Clearing her throat, Unique looked down at her hands. “It’s… errh… just something I can…”

“I see…”

The bypassing people were the only sounds that Unique could hear. Somewhere in the distance, a driver honked his car horn. Annelka has told her what the metal boxes were called down here. Apparently, they were quite useful for transportation, but Annelka had warned Unique not to be too amazed—they were still the spawn of someone named Satan.

“Would you be able to do it again?”

Unique’s mouth dropped open, and she stared at the woman with wide eyes. That was unexpected.

Annelka chuckled. “Don’t look at me like that. I am merely curious.”

“Why do you ask?”

“You see, I have this little stand further up north. It’s nothing outstanding, but I have a gift for reading tarot cards and—“

“What’s that?” Unique interrupted.

“Tarot cards? Oh, that is a way to tell the future. I’ll show you some day.”

“But I can’t see the future, why would you be interested in my p…gift?”

Whew. That had been close. Unique gulped. She couldn’t tell the woman that it was a power—it would only lead to trouble later on.

“That is just the thing. When dealing with the paranormal, it’s not only what lies ahead of us that is pertinent.” Annelka leaned over the small café table and whispered, “I think it’s just as important to understand and remember the past.”

Unique was awestruck, she didn’t know how to respond. Annelka Smith knew—she knew everything about her powers.

“You won’t tell anyone, right?”

Annelka scoffed. “Child, I’ve kept more secrets in my time, than you could imagine.”

Somehow, Unique doubted that, but she decided not to mention anything. She’d bet anything that she was older than Annelka Smith thought.

“So, what do you say? Do you want to give it a try?”

Unique’s head was acting on her behalf, nodding, before her mind caught up. Had she just agreed to work for Annelka?

***

The Carnival was colorful — Different rides, and stands were in a multitude of colors, banners with fancy fonts hung low over her head, and signs with fantastic deals were visible at every corner of her eyes.

“My stand is over here,” Annelka said. Unique followed the older woman, over the grass-covered ground, towards a small wagon with flags on it. A large sign told that it was the place for Annelka the Fortune Teller.

“Come on in.” The woman opened the door that led into the little wagon. The air smelled sweet, and Unique became slightly lightheaded from standing in front of the door.

“Would you like a reading, dear?” Annelka asked.

“A reading?”

“Yes, a tarot reading of your past, present, and future.”