Chapter 21 - A meeting with fear

Chapter 21 – A meeting with fear

Transporting was becoming easier for each time Unique tried. It was a matter of determination and nothing else. She had to blank her mind while still holding on to that bit of resolution of where she needed to go.

Sion hadn’t contacted her again, and the knowledge that he was out there—without staying in touch—hurt her more than it probably should have. She couldn’t even explain it to Annelka, who’d been a massive help in all of this.

The older woman had introduced Unique to the library, and for weeks, she’d been sitting up reading alongside the fallen Goddess.

Unique rubbed her eyes after she’d transported inside Annelka’s house. At first, it had been hard to explain the whole transporting deal to the gypsy. Luckily, the older woman wasn’t easily overwhelmed, and she did her best not to pry.

The couch was already made into a bed, and Unique wanted simply to crash. Despite their efforts, they’d gotten no-where.

Human religions were so odd. Their belief varied from household to household. While many of them was inspired by the Gods of Haims, it wasn’t something that they could use. Fascinating reading, yes. Helpful? No.

Unique sighed. If only Sion would help her somehow. That would be great. Actually, it would make everything so much easier. She placed the bag on the floor and went straight to the couch. There was no tea tonight—she simply didn’t have the energy.

Closing her eyes, she hoped for a nice dream.

Envy smiled. “I bet that little stunt was worth it, right?”

“Yeah. It was.” Sion answered. He jerked his arm, trying to get free from his strains. His suffering made Envy laugh.

“Well. I’ll get your precious little home wrecker as soon as I track her down.”

“Come on, Envy. What happened to you? Unique didn’t ruin your relationship with Retro—you did, remember?”

“I did no such thing!” Envy started to pace back and forth. “It was an accident; I just wanted her to back off.”

“What did you think would happen after you ‘killed’ his daughter?” Sion asked.

“I wasn’t supposed to kill her. She was messing with my head. She had no business watching my memories.” She clenched her hands into fists, her nails digging into the palm.

“Trust me… she didn’t do it for pleasure,” Sion muttered.

“That’s classic.” Envy snorted. “Of course you’ll support her. Aren’t you forgetting something here, dear brother?”

“Nope.”

“You’re not forgetting the travesty she brought on our family?”

“I have no clue what you’re talking about—the only travesty was you killing your sister in law.”

A menacing laugh escaped Envy’s lips. “Sister in law? Unique Retro-daughter has never been anywhere near a sister to me.”

“Sure. Just ignore the facts Envy—that makes sense.” Sion rolled his eyes. “It’s not like the whole story is written down in history books kept in the Hall of Origins or anything.”

Envy hissed. “Of course they did that. Bastards.”

“So… Do you have any plans of letting me go?” Sion strained against his bonds again. “Not that I don’t enjoy hanging out here, of course.”