Chapter 13 - Unique's Wedding

Chapter 13 – Unique’s wedding

Unique groaned. Her body ached from the travel. Would she ever get used to it? She didn't think so. Her eyelids were closed, and it hurt to open them. She had landed on her bum on a stone floor. Her knees must have been torn from the travel because she sensed the healing already itch around the corners of her wounds. Dammit. Why’d she have to wear a dress now?

She looked around. It seemed that Envy had taken her to some sort of cave. There wasn't much light, only a seemingly artificial green glow came from two large orbs that hovered right under the ceiling.

"Where am I?" she asked.

Envy's chortle sent chills down her spine. Such a horrible sound shouldn't be allowed.

"You're in my lair. The place where your father banished me to, for around 127 years ago." Envy pranced over and stopped before Unique. Leaning down, she grabbed Unique's hair and pulled her head back. With inhuman strength, she forced Unique to look around the cave. "Don't you think it's such a lovely place to live?"

Unique gritted her teeth – refusing to yell out in pain. Yet, the pain in her skull was unbearable.

"I don't know what you're talking about. I wasn't even born then,” she said through her teeth.

Envy stared at her, before bursting out in  mocking laughter. "They never told you? Ha-Ha, that's so typical of the Origins."

Unique frowned. Had this woman lost her marbles? What on earth was she talking about? She kept silent, watching Envy from afar as the woman paced around in the cave.

"You see... You might not know this. But you were a large part in the banishing of the Gods of negative emotions – myself included."

Unique didn't state the fact that she barely even knew there was any banishing before she fell to earth. She hadn't bothered to study the history of Haims when she had the chance. The only reason she knew anything was because Sion had told her a week ago.

"Oh, I know. You didn't know about it. Probably because Retro is growing soft towards his precious daughter." Envy turned around and looked over Unique with a disgusted expression. Her lips coiled back and her eyes traveled over Unique. "His one and only care in the world."

"What? You thought you were entitled to that role, maybe?" Unique couldn't stop the words from escaping her lips. But what Envy was saying made no sense. Of course,  a father should love his only daughter.

"You don't understand the seriousness of this. You're just a child." Envy smirked.

The artificial green light made Envy's features look monstrous. Unique had to fight the urge to cower away in fear. She located her courage and yelled, "Let me go!"

Envy faked a pout. "Aww. I never have guests over. Please stay a bit longer? Pretty, please?"

Unique widened her eyes. She was now without any doubt – Envy was a mental case.

"Nah. I'm just joking. You're not going anywhere. I might slip back and get my brother. Perhaps he's better suited to tell you what happened back then." The smile that cornered Envy’s lips were vicious.

Unique averted her eyes. Green truly was the color of envy. A groan escaped her lips when her head was yanked back once more. How fast had Envy moved? Panic rushed through Unique, she had to do something. With an unknown power, she reached out and locked her hands around Envy's wrist. Within seconds, Unique was pulled into the past of her captor.

Everything was so darn beautiful. It made her angry. How come they were allowed to be happy and delightful? She pouted.

On the other side of the table, her parents sat proudly. The perfect scene of tamed Fury and uncontrollable Love. Yuck. Envy wanted to barf. It was sickening. Pride was evident in their eyes, and Envy knew why – The glorious union. She rolled her eyes, refusing to acknowledge the presence of them.