Chapter 15 - History Lessons.

Chapter 15 – History lessons.

”So you’re telling me that my banished sister is here in town, and that she kidnapped you from the carnival?” Sion asked.

Unique was well aware that he probably didn’t believe her. The widened eyes didn’t look frightened – they looked as if he were sure that she’d lost her marbles somewhere.

“Yes. And I looked into her past, where she saw me getting married. I don’t remember it though. I don’t even think it was real.”

Sion didn’t answer her. He simply stared at the floor while he rubbed his temples.

“Are you alright?” she asked.

“Hmm?” He glanced at her, just now noticing she was even there. “Yeah. I’m fine.”

“Are you sure?” She frowned. His face was unusually pale, and there was no hint of his earlier playfulness in his eyes. He seemed tired and worn down.

“Yes, Unique.” He rose from the chair. “I’m fine.”

Unique followed him with her eyes as he walked around in the room. She hadn’t gotten a proper chance to look at the insides yet, and with so much on her mind – she hadn’t even thought to go exploring. She stood up and walked over to one of the adjourning doors. Her hand reached out to take the doorknob and twist it.

“Don’t go in there!” Sion’s voice came from right behind her. She could feel his breath on her neck, and her hand hovered over the knob.

“I mean it, Unique. Don’t go into that room,” he said. With every word, a chill ran down her spine. She didn’t move away from the door, and she was afraid to turn around.

His hand landed on hers, and he pulled it away from the door handle. Why was he so warm?

“Why can’t I look?” she asked when she finally found her voice again.

“I wish I could explain it. But for now, just don’t touch anything,” Sion said. He led her over to the couch once more, and gestured for her to sit.

“You promised to tell what this place was,” she said and sat down.

He sighed and looked around the room. There was something bothering him – Unique had never seen him like this before.

“What do you want to know?” he asked.

The question made Unique roll her eyes. What she wanted to know? Well, duh. Everything. She didn’t answer just stared at him, trying to make her face neutral.

“Alright. I’ll tell you.” Sion sat down beside her on the couch. “This place once belonged to one of the Gods. It was a gift – a sort of holiday resort.”

“A holiday resort?” Unique cocked an eyebrow. “On earth?”

“Yeah. It’s a long time ago. But Haims and Earth used to be connected. This place was our gateway into the world.” He stopped talking to meet her eyes.

“What happened?”

“Well. That’s the part you didn’t bother studying. Haims were in an uproar when the negative Gods lost control of their powers. The power overtook them, and they had too much power over the mortal world from Haims.

“The origins and several other Gods tried to save their brothers and sisters. But they were too far gone and couldn’t be saved.” Sion averted his eyes to the floor.

“What happened?”

Unique thought she saw a glimpse of pain in his eyes, but it was gone far too soon for her to be certain. He cleared his throat and leaned back in the couch.