Chapter 22 - Envy's First Attack

Chapter 22 – Envy’s first attack.

”I don’t know what to do, Annelka.” Unique sighed. “It all seems so impossible.”

“I’m sure you’ll think of something, dear.”

Unique looked at the woman. Was there actually anything she could do? She was stranded on earth, with no way of finding Sion or getting in touch with the other Gods. It all looked terribly hopeless.

Not to mention all the odd information that she stumbled upon—it had taken the better part of a night to get somewhat used to the fact that she had been married to Sion. Unique had tossed and turned while replaying the visions in her mind. Finally, she had decided not to think too much about it. It was what it was, and she couldn’t trust whether it was true or not.

“How about that girl you mentioned? The scared one?” Annelka asked.

“Feara can’t be of any help, she’s scared of her own shadow. She fears everything.” Unique wouldn’t admit it to Annelka, but just the thought of going back, sent shivers down her spine.

“How about that holy place of yours? Would there be any—“

Annelka stopped speaking, and Unique snapped up. What happened? The old woman in front of her was clutching the handle on a bread knife, twitching it in her hands.

“I don’t get it,” she said and turned the knife over, throwing it playfully between her hands. “I did everything in my power to get blessed by the Gods. Everything!”

“Annelka….” Unique scrambled back, her chair tilting over in the process. The sound of the wood falling on the tile floor resounded between them.

Something was wrong with Annelka, sweat was pouring down her face, and her teeth were gritted.

“To waste such extensive power on someone like you, it’s beyond my imagination. You aren’t equipped to handle powers, and you have no idea how to use them.”

Oh, crap. The realization of what was happening was fast catching up to Unique—she just didn’t know how to respond.

“Annelka, you need to fight this. It’s not you talking right now,” she said. Her attempt at reasoning with the gypsy woman was wasted though.

“You betcha it’s me talking. I don’t get how you can be such a failure, and still be blessed. You don’t deserve it.” The woman took a step closer to Unique, the knife still twitching in her hand.

“And you suppose you do?” Unique asked.

“Yes,” she answered.

Second after, Annelka charged with the knife held up high. A roar came from the woman, and Unique tried to escape the onslaught. The knife slashed through the skin on Unique’s arm, and she screamed. Flee. Get away.

Her whole body screamed to escape, and she obeyed. Her powers weren’t active so she could use them to defend herself, and even if they had been, she wasn’t sure she would have hurt her only friend on earth. Not even when her friend turned into a mad gypsy woman with intent of hurting her.

Unique ran through the house, grabbing a small backpack she’d acquired a few days prior, she concentrated on transporting. She didn’t care where—she just knew that she needed to get away.

“Unique!” Annelka screamed.

She ignored the woman. Focus. Annelka barged in and charged once more. Unique had no hopes of defending herself; instead, she closed her eyes, and breathed slowly. Transport. Anywhere, but here.