Chapter 12 - Sion's Strange Behavior

Chapter 12 – Sion’s strange behavior

There were only a few minutes until the Carnival opened. Unique walked behind the small stand that Annelka had helped her make. The small tent was narrow and already filled with mysterious junk that she had no idea how to use. It was a trick to seem more mysterious and otherworldly – not that Unique needed help with not belonging.

She looked around. It was a fairly easy deal. She’d have to stand behind the counter, which was only a tall café table. Then she’d have to decide whether to stay on the spot and use her powers – but she could also go inside to the small table. There was seating arrangements everywhere; tall chairs, something that resembled a bed and this oddity that Annelka had called bean bags.

In the corner, Sion was sitting on one of those large bags; he was reading some kind of magazine with cars and barely clothed women.

“You don’t have to stay,” she said.

“Of course.” He turned a page. “I’m going to stay anyway, though – so you can stop worrying about me now.”

She sighed. Sion had followed her around since she confessed about this job. For the most part,  it was bearable. However, there were times, like now, where Unique wished that he’d just go away.

Annelka had approved of the blue dress, and she even agreed to let Unique practice on her. She now had a fairly strong feeling about it all. The only thing that worried her was the condescending looks of disapproval from Sion. They were few, and far between, but they were there – and they made her worry.

“Are you ready, dear?” Annelka rushed over.

“Yeah. I am.”

“As ready as she’ll ever be…” Sion muttered.

Annelka shot him a puzzled glance, but Unique simply shook her head. There wasn’t any time for her to start explaining. The older woman had accepted when Sion had forced Unique to make it clear that they were a package deal – nothing else was said though. To Annelka, Sion was just an inconvenient side effect, and Unique preferred it that way.

“Alright. It’s about start now. So just stand there and try to seem mysterious. That always work. If anything, just look up at the sky and pretend it’s extremely intriguing. It’s a little tip from my younger days. The costumers will wonder what you’re doing.” The older woman giggled.

“Thank you, Annelka.” Unique smiled.

The woman grinned and turned around on her heel. “Good luck, dear.”

Sion snorted.

“What?”

His eyes met hers over the magazines. “She just asked you to look as if you weren’t paying attention to anything.”

“So?”

“Her best trick is to look stupid. That should tell you something about this whole ordeal.”

She frowned. Whatever it was that had gotten into Sion lately, had to get out soon. He was being unnecessary mean besides his usual cockiness.

Unique glanced upwards. She might as well practice for later. The puffy white clouds on the light blue sky were soothing her nerves. She imagined Haims with the white skies, and the colorful flora that lit up the place. It would be lovely to be able to walk through the gardens again. She even missed Amora’s preaching.

“Excuse me?” a voice called.

Unique snapped back to reality. A young woman was standing side by side with a guy. Both were smiling brightly as they held hands and waited for her to respond.