Chapter 29 - A Happy Ending

Please read the Authors Note at the end. 

Chapter 29 – A Happy Ending

The pain had stopped. There was nothing. Only peaceful darkness followed. The only unfortunate part was that Unique didn’t know if she’d succeeded in stopping Envy at last. It would be a bummer if she hadn’t.

“I’m sorry for everything.”

Unique ignored the voice—it wasn’t important. The only thing that mattered was that the agony was no longer there. She was content.

“I can’t believe I didn’t notice she was gone.”

Unique sifted through everything and nothing. There was not a care in the world or beyond.

“I should have told her earlier. I should have let her practice her powers knowing the consequences.”

Someone was crying. She could hear the sobs coming through.

“Can we revive her again?”

Why would they do that? She was happy now; she didn’t want to come back to pain.

“Lif would never agree.”

Shut up. Shut up. Shut up. She wanted to yell at them, why couldn’t they leave her alone? Like they said, Lif wouldn’t agree anyway.

Lif. That name. Unique knew that name.

“I can’t believe that I lost her again. After all this time, why?”

That voice. She knew that voice. It was so passionate. Passion. It was her husband—the love of her life.

Passion. Everything came back to her now. Her life played in front of her, both of her lives was laid out. She remembered everything. The way Retro used to play catch with her in the gardens. His smile whenever he looked at her.

“I love her, Retro.”

Sion! Unique gasped for air. Opening her eyes hurt, and she didn’t know where she was. Her surrounding were blurry, and she struggled to keep her balance.

“Whoa. Easy there.” Someone caught her, and she leaned against the person.

“Unique!” Hands wrapped around her waist, and she was pulled into the arms of someone who smelled pleasant.

“W-What…” the words came out as a whisper. Her mouth was dry, and she needed water.

As on cue, something was held to her lips, and she gulped the cooling liquid down eagerly.

“Unique, Daughter of Retro,” a female voice said. Unique focused on the direction of the voice.

“Y-yes?” It hurt to talk.

“Because of the continuous courage that was never expected of you, you have redeemed yourself from falling from Haims.”

Unique squinted. If she concentrated hard, she could make out the outline of a woman—a Goddess.

“Your powers have been reinstated, and I’ve made sure that your essence will never fade.”

Silence followed. The woman walked away, heels clicking on the floor. A door was shut.

Then a bundle of cheering happened. She was hugged from several sides, and she couldn’t distinguish who was who. Yet, she didn’t care. Everything was right now.

--

Unique was on a plaid in the Gardens of Haims. She could hear Sion rustle beside her.

“So, Envy is okay?” she asked.