chapter two

dan

Dan literally stops - freezes  on the ground, lost for words and unable to believe what he is seeing.

Sure, this person was glaring down at Dan with what could only be described as a look of disgust and annoyance, but still, it was a fucking face for crying out loud - a very miracle in Dan's world.

"What are you staring at freak?" the guy asks, his blue eyes narrowing at Dan and his arms crossed over his chest.

"Y-your face," Dan stammers out, after which realising that they probably weren't the best choice of words in this particular situation, immediately going red after the words leave his mouth.

"What, never seen a face before loser?" the guy asks, annoyed and losing patience with this random, weird kid on the floor in front of him, he's already having a shit day, this is just adding to it.

His response made Dan want to laugh at the plain irony of it all, but even so, Dan just kept his mouth shut as he doesn't want everyone to know about his condition, ever.  So Dan just remains silent, staring up at the guy in front of him. His skin was pale, tattoos peeking out from his shirt collar, his eyes were dark on the edges, but his irises were the most beautiful blue, but they were cold, like ice. He carried around a cold, 'don't mess with me' aura, and it seemed like most kids avoided him, and it wasn't hard to see why.

"Lost your voice now? You're such a freak," the guy says, rolling his eyes and walking on, making sure to step on Dan's right hand on the way, making Dan wince in pain and glare at his back.

He watches as the guy walks away, rounding a corner, leaving Dan on the floor back in his world of blurry faces. Pj helps him up, and Dan rubs his sore fingers.

"Who even is that?" Dan asks as he follows Pj to his art class.

"That's Phil Lester," Pj says simply, "he's trouble and danger, and that's all you need to know about him."

"Why is that all you need to know about him?" Dan asks.

"Because that's all he is. He's the kind of person your parents warn you to stay away from, he's basically fearless, he's rude, arrogant," Pj starts, listing all these other qualities which would add up to make the worst person in existence.

Dan sighs. Why couldn't someone nice, friendly and polite have a face visible to Dan? But oh no, it had to be the kid who seemed to hate the world and everything on it. If Dan wanted to know more about why this guy's face was visible to him, he now knew it was going to be a challenge - but for once in his life, Dan was determined.

"Look Dan, just stay away from him okay?" Pj asks as they sit at desks in the art room, "I want to look out for you, and trust me, that guy is nothing but trouble. he'll ruin your life."

"That's a bit harsh," Dan says, frowning.

"Just promise me," Pj begs.

"Okay, I will," Dan says, but he knows in the back of his mind, that curiosity will get the better of him.

What makes that Phil guy immune to Dan's blurry face?

Art goes by quite quickly, and before Dan knows it, he's following Pj to wherever the hell they're going to sit for first break. Pj stops at a table under a large tree, which has quite a few people sitting at it. Dan recognises two of the people there - mainly from their clothing and hair - Louise and Zoe.

"Everyone, this is Dan, Dan, everyone," Pj says as they slot in, Dan between Louise and Pj.

"Wow, helpful," Dan says, feeling nerves start building inside of him.