chapter twenty

// blurry face was ranked #199 in fanfic and hit 40K reads so I HAD to update for you guys :D //

dan

Dan sits in the waiting room of the hospital, his fingers drumming anxiously on the armrest of the uncomfortable, white chair.

He can't think straight, his mind is plagued with too many worrying thoughts. He can't seem to relax himself, and as for his parents - they don't know he's here.

Dan tries to think back on what happened in the last few hours in an attempt to grasp what has just happened.

He was in the classroom, in excruciating pain. Then he remembers Connor coming in, kneeling beside him and asking what was wrong.

Dan had then choked out, 'something's... wrong...'. Connor wasn't sure what was wrong exactly, but then Dan sort of... Knew. He then choked out Phil, and Connor had thought of when Phil asked him if he'd called the police.

Connor quickly explained to a teacher, who momentarily obliged and called an ambulance while Connor and Dan also were taken to where they thought Phil was. Connor had to basically drag Dan down the street, as he was still in pain. Which was also difficult because Dan is a giant compared to Connor.

Dan remembers seeing Phil, lying curled up in the alley, his white t shirt stained with drying blood around his stomach, which his arms are curled around. He remembers running to Phil's side, crying. He remembers whispering to Phil, begging for him to hold on.

But then the paramedics took him away, and Dan has been left in the waiting room ever since.

He doesn't know what to think - or feel. The only word he can think of to describe how he feels is anxious. He's scared, he's worried, and every time he closes his eyes he sees Phil's life draining out of him in streams of crimson.

What if Dan hadn't found him? What would happen then? And what on earth was Phil doing there in the first place? Dan had thought it had ended for Phil when he left, that he was finally free - so why would he go back?

Dan sighs, looking down and trying to shut his brain off - it is probably better for him to think of nothing rather than to make his mind explode with even more questions and thoughts.

"Dan?" Connor asks, taking the seat beside him, "are you alright?"

Dan goes to say yes, but can't bring himself to do it. He shakes his head instead, looking down.

"I-I just keep seeing him, the blood..." Dan stammers, "I can't stop. Every time I close my eyes..."

Connor places his hand on Dan's shoulder comfortingly. "Everything will work out to be fine Dan, you'll see."

"You can't say that Connor, no offence, but you don't know two shits about me," Dan says, looking down at his fingers, "no one does."

"Everything always works out to be fine Dan," Connor says, "you'll see."

"Life isn't always a fucking fairytale Connor," Dan says with a sigh.

"No, I know that Dan! You aren't the only one with a tough life you know," Connor says, "there's a point where you should stop feeling sorry for yourself and try to fix your life."

"My life can't be fixed Connor!" Dan yells in the basically empty waiting room, his voice echoing.

Connor looks away then, staring at the floor and Dan does as well. They stay there, silent and lost in their own minds.

***

Dan must've fallen asleep somewhere along the line, because when he opens his eyes, it's morning again.