chapter six

dan

The yelling is what Dan hears first.

It's his parents, screaming from outside the weirdly empty room he's trapped inside. Dan looks around, there's no door out - only walls.

The screaming is still going on, the yelling, the fighting is never ending and Dan can't escape it. He sinks to the ground and covers his ears but the yelling won't stop.

'It's your fault!'

'You're always at work!'

Then he hears Phil's voice as well, joining in the chorus.

'drinking.'

'are you tipsy mummy's boy?'

Then Troye's song echoes through the walls.

'sipping life from bottles.'

At this point, Dan is on the floor, rocking back and forth whilst tugging furiously on his locks of hair.

'stop, make it stop, please,' Dan begs in his mind.

But it doesn't.

Dan sits up in bed, sweat hanging in beads on his forehead, making his fringe damp and curly. He can feel the familiar feeling of long dried up tears on his cheeks and his heart is still pounding.

Although the dream has ended, his life still remains a nightmare. There's just no escape from the fighting. Dan sighs deeply, glancing at his phone to check the time. It's 9 a.m. and he has a text from Troye.

Troye: heyo Dan! I'm coming to London for a tour next week, wanna catch up??

Dan smiles, he misses Troye. He quickly types out a reply before he forgets to.

Dan: duh, can't wait to see you!

Dan leaves his phone on his bed, standing up and going for a shower to wash away last night's dream. He pulls on jeans and a t shirt, checks his hair and walks downstairs, finding his house predictably empty. He sighs, deciding to eat breakfast out instead. If his parents insist on working all the time, Dan can at least get some benefits from it.

His family is loaded, so hence, Dan is too. He pockets his wallet and phone, picks up a backpack, throwing his sketchbook, a novel and his laptop. He locks the door behind him and heads down the street, towards the town.

He picks a warm looking cafe and orders breakfast and a coffee, sitting in the corner by the window. Dan sighs deeply, his mind still not entirely recovered from the dream.

Dan opens his sketchbook, flipping through the drawings, usually of nature and animals, but he does have a few people, they just have blurred out faces, as Dan sees them. He flips to his most recent one - a work in progress of Phil.

He's outlined the drawing, he just has to shade it with his pencil. After he eats breakfast, he pays the waiter, thanking her before he takes his things to the park, leaning back against a tree and starting to finish the drawing of Phil. He doesn't know his exact tattoos, so he's just doing shapes. He's managed to capture Phil's signature smirk though, an once he finishes his face, Phil is indeed smirking at him from the paper.

Dan finds it weird how he can see Phil's face in a drawing as well, so he flips to the back and starts drawing another face, but as soon as he starts the second facial feature, it turns to a blur. He frowns, flipping back to Phil, who's smirking at him.

Why is this guy's face visible?!

Dan sighs, shaking his head and looking down. He's so confused right now, and tired, but for once, he's not drunk. He plugs earphones into his phone, placing them in his ears and playing Troye again, seeing as he's coming in a week now.