Chapter 27

"Here's where I live"
My father pointed up a long driveway. The gatekeeper tipped his hat to us as our limo drove silently up the stone drive.

Leah stared out the window happily as the trees turned into shrubs and front steps led up to a huge front door.

"Nicholas won't be home until the morning, he went to visit his parents"

We each nodded and got out of the limo and followed our father inside.
It was as if I was suppose to know this house long ago, I was suppose to still be living here, I was suppose to be painting over my bedroom walls because as I grew into an adult, and neon green and fancy duct tape wasn't the style for someone who now had to go to college to get a 9 to 5 job.

"I seen Katie drink wine so I know you all drink , except Cameron, no alcohol for her"
Our father laughed.

Cameron rubbed her small baby bump and agreed on apple juice while we all cheered to a great day.

"Happy birthday girls"
Our father smiled, handing out glasses of wine

***

After long hours of the night instead of hotels we stayed in our fathers house for the night, I smiled at my phone seeing Reagan calling me.

"Hey, so I have a few people proof reading my book!"
She spoke excitedly.

I glanced at the digital clock next to my night stand as it was half past midnight, i smiled raising up from the bed and stepped outside on the balcony staring off at the yard.

"I'm so glad"
I smiled

"Are you going to publish it?"

I could hear shuffling
"Yeah, I'm gonna publish it, but I'm going to figure all that out after I get my fathers house sorted out"

"I'll come help you clean when I get done with the house viewing tomorrow?"

Reagan laughed
"It's fine Katie, it's just time consuming not really messy"

I nodded feeling like it would be an ongoing battle of her refusing my help and me giving more an more.

"I love you"

"I love you"
I exhaled, as if my body , my soul, everything I knew just spoke to her.

"Goodnight"

"Goodnight Reagan"
I smiled, the silence on the other end of the phone came slowly and I pushed my phone into my pocket.

I was ready to see the beach house, I was ready to hold my girlfriend, as odd as it sounded, it felt right coming from my mouth, Reagan felt right for me. Staying with my father gave me a new sense of hope, but it will always be different, all the empty places will never be filled with moments with him.
Even after it took us, his daughters to get him to see clearly maybe after today we will see more of his life.

I heard a door close next to my balcony and my father stepped outside leaning against the railing.

"D-dad?"
I stuck my hands in my pockets.

He turned to me, half shocked.

"I couldn't sleep, my house feels so full, I'm glad you girls decided to come here"
He confessed

"Leah did that"
I shrugged, reminding myself a trip to Paris soon would be in way.

He smiled sticking his hands in his robe pockets while he walked over to the nearest side of his balcony.

"My father died when I was ten, I remember it was my last day of camp when I got the phone call, my limo picked me up an took me straight to the police station where I waited hours an hours for my alcoholic mother to show up."
A pain spread on his face while he kept searching.

"She told me my father had gotten into an accident, a truck had ran into him and killed him on impact, he was testing out his brand new Porsche"
He shook his head

"And after that I got use to being alone, I got use to being this lifeless thing, and I met your mother and life began to spring again and I had children and life was blooming and it was beautiful and I felt like the family I once wanted was there, but while I was watching you guys grow up I didn't realize I had turned into my father and soon I had paid for school and all my girls were gone and your mother started a life , a new life, and I don't know where I lost my way, I don't know where my father lost his way, I don't remember why my mother started drinking, all I know is when Nicholas came into my office to deliver a project for his company I felt my world light up, we were together all the time, and I felt that missing hole I needed, and-"
He stopped and shrugged.

I felt my chest tighten, I never met anyone on my fathers side of the family, I never questioned there existence because I didn't know how to ask about someone that you've never heard of.

He smiled and nodded as if he found the right words.
"I fell in love with life again, I fell in love with myself, and I never knew how to patch the holes with you and cam, and Leah, but I will try"

I smiled from my balcony.
"If you felt like you did everything wrong, please know that you didn't, you make sure we have everything we need and then some, you gave all of us a great education even though Cameron went camping for seven years straight, no family is perfect, but I'd enjoy having my father In my life"

He laughed a laugh I've never heard and I knew his shell had been cracked.
"I love you Katie"

"I love you too dad"

He smiled
"I'll see you in the morning"

"Goodnight"

____

AUTHORS NOTE :

I was mid writers block during this chapter.
So I'm sorry for a crap chapter.

(: