Chapter 39

I sat outside of the hospital leaned up against the brick building, I had to take a moment to be alone before I could see anyone else cry. I pulled out my phone and called my father.

"Dad?"

"Hey, are you okay?"

"I'm- I'm at the hospital mom died last night"
I confessed to him

"She what?"

I heard the shifting stop on his end of the phone.
"She died last night in the hospital, a car accident, she held on until we got here"

The silence from his end was deafening, we stayed like that for what felt like hours.
"What hospital?"

"Declare or something like that"
I had began playing with a rock I had found on the ground just below my feet.

"I'm on my way to you guys"

"I was married to her, you guys are my children, I will be there"
He spoke again before hanging up the phone.

I could imagine Cameron and Leah right now, inside grieving and crying, wondering where the hell I was, but I couldn't go inside that hospital, the same colored walls, so lifeless. I raised up from the brick wall I had been leaning against and decided to text Reagan.

-She decided to go last night after we got here, I woke up this morning with a headache, cam and Leah are inside, I can't face them yet. I'd call but I don't think I could say any of this aloud.

Within seconds I got a text message back.

-Katie, I love you. And your mother is in a better place, all that pain she must have felt, she's better now. But everyone deals with grief there own way, if you need to be by yourself right now then that's what you need to do.

I re-read the text over and over, the I love you, a better place. I stood up and put my phone in my pocket and walked back to the hospital entrance.

"Hey you guys"
I got there attention, they looked like hell but I think we all did.

"Let's go get a room somewhere and clean up okay"

They both nodded and stood to follow me, the receptionist gave us a smile in hopes to comfort us but it wasn't working, so I just gave her one back to make her feel like she could have made some sort of a difference.

We sat in the back of the limo and I only thought of what Reagan told me, wondering if it would help them.

I felt the lump in my throat retreat and I felt brave enough to say it.
"Mom is in a better place, you guys know that, she's not hurting anymore from her accident"

I stared at Leah who shifted in her seat and Cameron continued rubbing her belly.

Leah licked her lips and wiped her cheeks and smiled to herself, the first real reaction that either of them had given.
"I was just trying to think of some memory to remember her by, and Katie, Katie, we don't have any memories"

I felt the pain in my chest tighten and I knew only time would heal this. No words of comfort could stop the pain of this.

"Dad is on his way to be with us"
I whispered.

Cameron glanced up at me an nodded.

New flowers must blossom, hopefully with our father coming to be with us it would help plant new roots in our family and let us continue to grow an become closer to one another.

--

A knock came too our hotel door and we knew it was our father, he hugged us with his condolences and sat down with us.

"How are you guys holding up, how are you and the baby?"
He looked to Cameron.

"We don't have any memories of our mom"
Leah furrowed her brows.

Our father pursed his lips together and interlocked his hands.

"When your mother gave birth to you guys, I never thought it was going to ever end"
He smiled, holding back emotions.

"Your mother was crying and screaming telling anybody to get you guys out, she was pregnant for far to long"

"She finally gave birth to each of you, Leah, Katie, and then you Cameron"
He reached over and touched her shoulder.

"I stared down at each of you and I seen nothing but your mother, nothing but her, new life, new life she and I had made, you guys became our love, intertwined in delicate strands of life"

"She held all three of you together, two in one arm and one in the other, she looked at each of you, with protection, to be your guidance as you grew, you were her children, her life and her heart"

I can't remember my birth, I can't remember saying my first word, although it's important in life to remember it, you don't. I don't remember taking my first baby steps and I don't remember celebrating when I had successfully been potty trained. I don't remember the key parts of my early stages of childhood, but what I do know is that I had them, each stage was taken at my own. However the day I attempted to ride my bike with no training wheels was a successful one, the clouds over hung and rain could easily be squeezed from them, and I could merely hear the sounds coming from the city and all I remember hearing is Leah cheer me on, after that I pulled them outside one by one, showing them what I had accomplished, the only memory I have with my mom was when she was proud of me, given that, I hope that feeling of honor, and how proud she was of me never left.

"Each of you were wonderful babies, and you turned into such wonderful young adults"
I smiled at myself as he finished talking and I knew things would be okay.

And if they weren't okay yet, time and a little bit of healing would make it okay. No one actually accepts death, you learn to death with it.

I stood up excusing myself. I pulled out my phone and called Reagan.

"You know I was seven when I learned how to ride a bike without training wheels?"
I confessed.

"That's a young age"
She answered back.

"I'm just saying, stuff like that is so important to remember."

"I was eight"

"I was nine when I had my first surgery, appendicitis"

"I was twelve when I broke my first bone"
Reagan let the facts roll of her tongue, I was gathering her information.

I was going to make sure I knew her inside and out, and I was going to open myself so she could know me.

"I was never afraid of the dark as a child"

"I was afraid of mirrors"

We sat like that for ten minutes, just saying things off the top of our head. She was intriguing to me, and even though today was a dark day, I did look for her for security, and she gave that to me even without her knowing she did.

Her voice stopped the tidal waves it stopped the explosions and the shaking.

She was my sanity, she was my flashlight.

----

AUTHORS NOTE :

Here's another chapter (:

Thanks for reading and voting!

I hope you're enjoying the story