Thorin imagine: Healer. Part Three

It had been several months since that night at the small cottage. And the weather had changed dramatically since the warm haze of August. It was now wet and grey for most of the hours that the company walked, and some of the dwarves had even taken to wrapping themselves in thin woollen blankets during the day in an attempt at trying to keep the cold away from their aching joints and muscles. The night hours were no better, and it had become common practice for small groups of the dwarves to huddle together as they slept, making the most of any sharing any body heat available.

It was on one such evening when everyone had decided to stop in a tight, damp cave, desperate to get out of the deluge of torrential rain. A few of the men had scouted the cave out, claiming it to be safe, so the rest of the group busied themselves getting a fire going and began to prepare food. (Y/N) hurriedly took ingredients out of her wet satchel and laid them on the floor, hoping they would dry by the morning and cursing herself for not waxing the hessian bags before she had packed them up earlier during the day. Luckily Bofur had created a drying station near the fire, for anything people required to be warmed through, and Oin offered to hang her black cape once she had finished, handed her a quilt in exchange. The girl wrapped the blanket around her whole body, right up to her chin, sighing as the warmth of the flames tried to grab at her toes.

Thorin placed himself down opposite (Y/N), hoping to subtly watch her without anyone noticing. She looked more beautiful than ever, her skin was vivid pink with the cold and her hair was soaked from the downpour outside, but she was still smiling, still laughing along with his nephews jokes or smirking delightfully as she watching some of the dwarves trying their hardest to peel potatoes with speed.

The king and (Y/N) had grown closer in the months since she had joined the company, and most had seen the spark between them, enjoying watching their relationship blossom. Although most of the company were sure the two of them could not see it for themselves. While everyone walked during the day, Thorin had taken to teaching her phrases from the language of his fathers, Khuzdul, and roared with laughter at how she struggled to say things. (Y/N) also liked to tease him with her knowledge of plants and would give him things to eat, then tell him they were poisoned. He would happily play along and on one occasion lay on the ground without moving while she walked away and chuckled.

It was unusual for Thorin not to sit right next to the healer, as she was usually filled with questions about how grand Erebor had once been, about his family or his life before Smaug and about the dwarves in the blue mountains. But tonight he had decided to keep his distance, deep in thought about the days earlier events, and none noticed this more than (Y/N) herself.

The company had let their ponies go free a few weeks ago, the terrain of the mountains they now had to travel through was impossible for the animals to get anywhere. Since this, the group had to carefully manoeuvre through sharp rocks, overt boulders and sporadic stones in the substantial rain and moderate snow. It had become difficult to say the least. Thorin and (Y/N) had today been leading the company and guiding them through a particularly rough patch of land, when (Y/N) had lost her footing and fell right into his chest. He instantly caught her in his thick, muscular arms and the pair of them stopped for a moment, staring at each other. Thorin felt the passion lighting up his eyes, her touch had felt like fire. He asked if she was okay and put her down on steady footing, walking off ahead with extreme embarrassed. It was then that he realised that he was falling for her, for since then Thorin had thought of nothing but being alone with the maiden. 

He drew his attention back to risk another glimpse at her from over the flames of the fire when Thorin quickly noticed (Y/N) was not in the cave anymore. His eyebrows knitted together with concern, pulling the first dwarf he saw to one side. "Dwalin, where is (Y/N)?" He grunted with a velvety rumble.