Thorin Imagine: Healer. Part Five

"You are not leaving us?!" Bilbo shouted with horror as Gandalf grabbed at his own belongings and pulled them to his back while steadying his horse, ready to climb back in the saddle.

"I would not do this unless I had to-" The wizard soothed, stopping for a moment to study the hobbit's face and watching as his features contorted into a twisted look of worry. "You've changed, Bilbo Baggins. You're not the same hobbit as the one who left the Shire..."

(Y/N) was stood away from the commotion of the now terrified dwarves and looked in on the exchange between the two friends, who were now both staring at each other forlornly. The company had only just reached the very edge of the Mirkwood Forest when Gandalf had come charging back out, claiming that he had other important business to attend to elsewhere. Many of the dwarves had spat curses at him while feeling neglected and abused, but it was Bilbo who had been the most hurt by the sudden news and confronted the old man head on, desperate to persuade him to stay. Everyone else was now on high alert, glancing into the trees out of curiosity and panic.

The healer let the hobbit continue with his fruitless task and looked off into the entrance of the enchanted woods that menacingly stood before them all. It seemed that there was nothing but fallen leaves or dead ivy inside, blowing about in a dismally intense breeze. Beyond the dead vegetation sat a penetrating darkness, so inky-black that it was impossible to see through. There was certainly a sickness upon this forest and (Y/N) was now beginning to regret the decision to use it as part of their route.

"It does not seem safe," Thorin whispered in her ear, now standing by her side and following her gaze. "I am not sure we should go in."

"Unfortunately it seems that we have no other option-" She frowned, turning to him fearfully. "-I can sense dark sorcery here, full of malediction and bad intent."

"These woods are not right..." Thorin was worried now, running his hand through his mane of ebony hair and sighing dejectedly. "It is too dangerous."

"I will lead the company with you, I can try my best to warn everyone of any traps or tricks. Kili can be placed in the middle of us all, he will at least then have some warning should he need to use his bow in either direction. Fili then will be at the rear, able to ward off anything that would follow us-" (Y/N) looked to the dwarf, his anxiety palpable. She tried to muster a light smile and reached out to stroke the rough skin on the back of his hand. "-We should all be okay."

"I'll be waiting for you at the overlook, before the slopes of Erebor-" Gandalf boomed towards Thorin, breaking the group apart so that he could approach the king and bestow him with a parting piece of wisdom. "-Keep the map and key safe. Do not enter that mountain without me. Now, once inside, you must stay on the path, do not leave it. If you do, you'll never find it again." And with that Gandalf smoothly clambered onto his stallion, racing off into the heat of the midday sun. This left the dwarves with no other choice but to turn to their leader for what to do now. Thorin felt their eyes burning into him and instantly changed in his stature, puffing out his broad chest and holding his head up high. Turning around, his features hardened and he glared off into the sight of the trees before addressing them all with a false sense of confidence.

"Come on, we must reach the mountain before the sun sets on Durins Day. Let's go, we've but one chance to find the hidden door." 

The atmosphere was intense inside the forest, the air bulky and abounding. Branches from the towering trees seemed to reach down to try and caress the group like a handful of skeletal fingertips. A few small, sharp shafts of dim light managed to brake through spots of the dense brush, allowing the twisted shadows of the company to sneakily dance around the pathways, causing them confusion and making them argue amongst themselves. Thorin had his eyes acutley fixed to the centre of the road as they walked, not lifting his heavy head for a single moment as he shushed all the fighting to harsh whispers. (Y/N), eyes now extensively onyx in colour and skin as pale as fresh snow, followed closely behind the king.