Thorin Imagine: Healer. Part Twelve

"What is the meaning of this?" boomed a large round-bellied man, covered in the finest of furs and dripping in golden jewellery. He walked towards them with a struggle, his weight unevenly distributed from the size of his stomach to the thinness of his spindly ankles. He stopped after a few a short steps with heavy breathing while a light sweat formed on the top of his curling lip. A small of a crown of sorts was framed by his length of scraggly grey hair that fell limply onto the bumpy surface of his greasy chin. He moved his body to stand more impressively, taking on the stature of a rather pompous bear, before shouting again harshly for an answer.

"We caught 'em stealing weapons, Sire!" One of the guards called proudly and motioned for the company to stand along the steps of the courtyard. "All of 'em!"

A mass of people had now flocked to the scene and Thorin quickly saw that not a single person was dressed as grandly as the overweight man on the steps leading to the Town Hall. In fact, the crowd were more reminiscent of an army of skeletons dressed in draping rags, the sense of desperation hung in the air like a solid, viscid smog. The dwarf was suddenly pushed into the centre of the drama so that all could see the culprits of such crimes.

"Ah! Enemies of the state, huh?" The Master laughed, showing off a row of uneven and deeply discoloured teeth. "Well, what to do with you lot..."

"A desperate bunch of mercenaries if ever there was, Sire." A small weasel of a man crept out from behind the large man's shadow; his dark hair slick with natural oils. He stood by the Masters side and smirked to them all arrogantly. "I can advise you on their punishment, my lord, as your counsellor."

(Y/N) and Balin had caught wind of the commotion and ran towards the crowd, ready to join the company in their protests, when Thorin had seen them and cast a look towards the old dwarf to try and tell him to keep hidden and get to safety. Balin held out a hand to stop the girl and shook his head, moving only to pull his cloak around his face and indicating for her to use her hood.

"Hold your tongue!-" spat Dwalin menacingly, drawing the attention back to the ensuing insult-throwing that was taking place, all of which was targeted towards the dwarves. The crowd sensed the power behind the warriors voice and looked nervously from the vagabonds and back to the Master, anxious as to see what would happen next. "-You do not know to whom you speak! This is no common criminal. This is Thorin, son of Thrain, son of Thror!"

The people surrounding them began to whisper excitedly, rushing to get a glimpse of the leader. (Y/N) even saw several of the ladies straighten down their hair and start to flutter their lashes in his direction before savagely being shot down when the king didn't pay the slightest bit of attention. Thorin stepped forward to stand by his friend, placing a hand on Dwalins shoulder before turning to address the writhing throng of locals. "We are indeed the dwarves of Erebor. We have come to reclaim our homeland-" He said simply while turning his view to look around at the run-down housing and their inhabitants. "-I remember this town in the great days of old. Fleets of boats lay at the harbour, filled with silks and fine gems. This was no forsaken town on a lake, this was the centre of all trade in the north!" The dwarf boomed at the top of his lungs, emotional at how cruel time had been. "I would see those days return. I would relight the great forges of the dwarves and send wealth and riches flowing once more from the halls of my fathers!"

The crowd cheered in jubilation at his words, moving to hug each other and congratulate their neighbours. The thought that they could buy decent food, new clothes and have a chance of good business was more than enough to make the dwarf king the new hero of Lake Town, and soon enough there were offers of food and lodgings being tossed about to the company. Suddenly there came a gasp from the back of the people as Bard had pushed through, tears running down his face. "Death! That is what you'll bring upon us. Dragon fire and ruin. If you awaken that beast, it will destroy us all." The Boat Man roared, glancing at his friends for support.