Thorin Imagine: Healer. Part Thirteen

It had been an unbelievable battle between dwarf and dragon, the inferno still raging across Erebor from the beasts flaming heat of revenge. It was Bilbo who had been the first to step into the depths of the mountain, tip-toeing around on mounds of fluctuating gold coins and piercing jewels, trying in vain to locate the coveted gem that was the Arkenstone. The Hobbit had been involved in his work, silently hunting in and out of the hoard when a slow spill of money had urged him to place on his magic ring, sensing Smaug had indeed awoken from slumbering under a huge mountain of glittering treasure. He was now in very grave danger and ran off to hide underneath a low platform that was held up by grand marble pillars while trying his best to remain unseen. However the beast was wise above the tales Bilbo had heard and Smaug managed to sniff the hobbit out with great speed, the intensity from the chase causing the burglar's mind to burn under the unknown watch of a distant enemy. 

The pair had conversed for some time, with Bilbo attempting to appeal to the dragons better nature if such a beast was to have one. An advanced sport had seemed to develop with speed; massaging Smaugs large ego to stay alive while remaining tactile enough to each keep their own cards close to their chest. But time had twisted the dragon to become even more angry and spiteful than first thought and he knew that above all else the 'barrel-rider' was here to take some of his ill-gotten gold. Smaug had raced him around the empty halls, bellowing out great balls of white-hot flame, causing poor Bilbo to bounce around while running for cover and eventually hiding himself away in the shadows for what seemed to be hours on end.

The dwarves outside had heard the deafening rumbles from below and all shared a deeply concerned expression, looking at each other and panicking. "What do we do?!" Asked Kili anxiously, flinching as another huge roar trembled the ground beneath them.

"I will go in and bring the halfling back out. None of you must follow, understood?" Thorin fingered at his sword and turned to strut down the open hallway, only stopping to lay a hand on Filis shoulder and whisper to him discreetly. "-Do not let (Y/N) in here until this beast is dead, no matter what she says.

The king then silently shuffled down into the depths of his abandoned homeland, his blade eagerly waiting to strike a blow if need be. He had managed to remember his way onto the balcony that overlooked the treasure room and gasped out in awe as he stared intently at the riches of his grandfather. Stacks of solid gold bars sat neatly along side masses of twinkling jewels. The halls in Erebor were as high as the mountain peak and Thorin found himself leaning over the shelf to glance skyward, gaping up at the marble bridges above him and the landings of solid granite. The dwarf lost himself in rich memories of his family and friends, strangely finding himself wearing a small smile upon his parted lips as he thought about his past. He stood there mesmerised until Bilbo had accidentally crashed into his back while desperately trying to escape. 

"Are you okay?" Questioned the king before moving closer to whisper into the halflings ear. "Did you find the Arkenstone?!"

Smaug suddenly rounded the corner and laughed at them maliciously, slinging out insults and baring his sharpened teeth while hissing as he spat out a wall of raging inferno. Thorin quickly pulled Bilbo down to his knees before dragging him into a darkened crawl space and running off into an unused hall of the city, losing track of the exit and becoming lost in the vast underground kingdom. 

Above them, and after waiting an agonising amount of time, the company had agreed that they should all go in to find both the dwarf king and Bilbo. Fili had spoken to (Y/N) about Thorin's warning, but he knew that he would not stop her entering with them nor did he want to leave her alone outside. With the explicit caution that she must stay by his side, Fili lead the rest of the group into the mountain, trepidation rampant as they hurried down the winding hallways.