Thorin Imagine: Healer. Part Ten

Most of the dwarves had stayed up late, chatting intently with Bard and asking about his life. The boatman had revealed that he had 3 children; 2 girls and a son. His wife had died while giving birth to his youngest and all of them had been alone since, living in dire poverty and needless destitution. "I remember times of old, the town was a thriving place-" said Dori, sighing as his mind wandered back to a happier climate for a short moment. "It was glorious."

"Aye, but not these days," Bard muttered, picking under his fingernail at a piece of ground in dirt. "My family have always had to work too hard for very little. It'll be the master's fault! It's said that he has huge vaults of gold hidden away in the Town Hall, but none see any benefit from it. The greedy bastard. I would not look to him for help if I were any of you lot."

After a few more sips from the small bottle of ale that the hunter had packed in his bag, and several additional choice words about the leader of the men on the lake, everyone had swiftly drifted back to sleep where they sat. When they had awoken stiffly the following morning, the company were in very high spirits and speedily got ready to leave, packing what little they did have into their cloaks and tying them together as loose bags. The hunter had needed only to stand up from where he had been sleeping to be prepared, and once the fire had safely been put out, Bard ordered them to follow him away to a breathtaking hillside, filled with luscious viridescent grass that was dotted with tiny pale flowers and plots of high stinging nettles. A path of sorts had been walked into the field, which lead down into a crystal-blue band of deep ocean water, where a long boat was neatly docked and bobbed gently in the lenient waves.

"Not many people know of this place. Whenever I do trading with the Woodland Realm, I come here and could sit for hours just watching the winds blow." breathed Bard happily, taking in a lungful of salty air.

Thorin suddenly froze, anxiety gnawing at his stomach. "You trade with Mirkwood?" He asked hurriedly, holding out a hand for his men to stop walking.

"Yes, mostly wines and fish-" Bard had noticed the worried look on the dwarf's face and himself became instantly concerned. "-Is...everything alright?"

"Ah," answered Balin, comically rolling back his shoulders and laughing as he rescued Thorin from the lure of deeper conversation. "It is no secret that elves and dwarves do not see eye to eye. It is a pride issue, think no more of it."

The group stomped their way down to the barge, content if not a little hungry. They all chipped in with helping the seaman set sail and once the boat was moving, the company settled down in small groups to share at some stale bread that Bard had handed out to them with sympathy. They had half a days sail before they would reach Lake Town, so many of the dwarves decided to lay down and doze in the early morning heat. Thorin had placed himself at the front of the boat with (Y/N), troubled as he stared into the ripples of the cool, murky water.

"Are you okay?" (Y/N) asked, placing a delicate hand on his lower back.

"Fine." Thorin answered shortly and moved around to give her an unconvincing smile.

"You are a terrible liar, Thorin Oakenshield." The healer scoffed, wrapping her fingers around his upper arm. "Just terrible!"

Thorin could not contain his grin when his lover hummed beautifully into his ear and pecked his rugged cheek. She knew him too well by now and had the canny ability to tell when something was bothering him. "We are getting closer to the mountain-" The dwarf answered quietly. "-but we are forgetting we have a large, murderous dragon in our path before we can truly call Erebor home. We have no weapons, no food. I am doubting if we are strong enough to face such a beast."

"My dear king!-" (Y/N) looked at him and smiled contently. "-I still see that beacon of passion and hope in your eyes. I can feel it in your heart! We would never have gotten this far if it was not for you and the strength that you have shown...It would be impossible to not doubt when we face such a woe, but if anyone can do this then it is you! I certainly believe in you, in fact, we all do."