Thorin Imagine: Healer. Part Eighteen

(Y/N) did not need to look far to find her new husband. Thorin was stood on the Great Balcony, looking out at the city of Dale which was now crawling with the golden glint of elven armour. His handsome face was twisted into an angry scowl and his stature was tense and strained. "Thorin.." (Y/N) whispered and placed herself to stand by him. The kings expression softened at the sight of his wife and smiling, he bowed at his new queen which made her laugh and giggle as he held out his arms to envelope his bride in a colossal hug.

"-Thorin..." The woman said after a few moments of awkward silence, but he did not answer. "Please hear me out!" She sat him down on a rough stone bench and crouched down on her knees, looking directly into his eyes as she spoke. "You know there has been enough heartache and bloodshed upon these lands..." (Y/N) started, but Thorin shook his head to stop her.

"You won't change my mind. They offered us great insult they way they burst in. And on our wedding day too...That elf is lucky that he left with his head still sat upon his shoulders." Thorin curled his hands into tightened fists and slammed them down on the seat.

"Please Thorin-" The girl pulled at his fingers and entwined them in her own calmly. "We don't have to do this. We can walk down into those treasure rooms together right now and fill chests and buckets with gold. Afterwards we can go and see Bard together, offer him our help. Those people of Lake Town do not deserve to go through another turbulence such as this! We don't need a war, my love." (Y/N) began to stroke at the back of his hand with her thumb and was surprised to see that he looked rather torn between his values.

"And then what of the elf? I would swear before my grandfathers grave that I will not give anything to that scum..." He growled deeply in reply. "I won't do it!"

"We don't seem to have a choice. We are 15, against an army of hundreds, if not that then thousands! Darling, we have to think of rebuilding our lives-"

Thorin pulled away from her harshly, and began to pace backwards and forwards. "I will not give him anything!" He boomed, anger and venom dripping from his tone. (Y/N) walked back over to him and placed a soft hand on his strong, muscular arm.

"I know, this is not ideal. I understand he has offended us all, but is it not worth it? To re-build Erebor in peace? For us to be able to have your kin return to a happy and prosperous home? To not have to be surrounded by death and destruction anymore?" She rested her chin on his shoulder, closing her eyes. "Think about it."

"Thror gathered ever single item in that hall so that his people could live happy and comfortable lives." Thorin sighed. "You do not understand, that gold is the legacy of my family."

"I understand more than you think" (Y/N) dropped the locket that Bard had returned into an open hand and dangled it in front of him.

"How did you get this back??" Thorin asked, shocked.

"Bard. He returned it to me." At her words the king grimaced guiltily, but the girl could see that her point was hitting home. "-You see, that locket is my mothers legacy. It is the closest thing I have to being able to touch her or even hold her. But it is not the only way I can relive it. Because she will always be here." (Y/N) gestured towards her heart and smiled sadly. "I gave up that locket to try and help us all. It takes a bigger man to step down and put the welfare of his people first."