Thorin Imagine: Healer. Part Eleven

(Y/N) had been tossing and turning for most of the night. Anytime she did drift off to sleep, her dreams were plagued with death and sorrow, anxious about the things that were to come. Anytime she jolted awake, the roar of snoring dwarves rattled her ears and she annoyingly had to cover her head with her cape. Deciding it to now be pointless trying and grasp at decent slumber, the healer turned to sit up from the hard wooden floor and glanced out of the nearest window with a light smile. The silver light of the moon illuminated the space and fluttered down onto the company that were squeezed into every nook and cranny of the house. Kili had even pulled out the drawer of a large dresser and slept nicely upon a pile of clean clothes, while his brother breathed deeply beside him, shuffling about in discomfort before pulling a sheet from underneath himself and fluffing it with his hands. (Y/N) turned her view to the immediate left and saw that Thorin was laying by her, breathing lightly as he slept on his back. He looked handsome as his long mane of black hair fell neatly over his chest, his dense eyelashes flickering wildly as he dreamt. One of his sturdy arms was rested upon his stomach, his strong hand clenched into a tight fist. He was also obviously anxious about things to come too.

(Y/N) manoeuvred herself around him and stood to get some fresh air. Bard had mentioned to her that there was a small balcony at the top of the house that overlooked most of the town, so she grabbed a thin blanket and tip-toed her way up a flight of creaky wooden steps, careful not to wake anyone. She located the door with ease and closed it behind herself silently, hoping that the chill would not manage to drift its way inside, and settled herself down onto the beams of damp timber while wrapping the woollen sheet around her whole body so that only her eyes, nose and some of her loose curls were visible.

She had been outside for hour an hour or two, watching the stars shine vividly into the rustling waters below. People had begun to lurk in the shadows to try their luck at lock picking, often to no avail or ending in being chased away by angry sailors and their families. (Y/N) had even laughed quietly when a drunk in the next house had been kicked onto the curb by a rather disgruntled wife and told not to come back until he was in a better state. The girl was just about dozing off to the sounds of the distant sea when a creak of the stairs from inside the house reached her ears and she turned to see Thorin had gently opened the door to the balcony, smiling.

"I am sorry if I am disturbing you." He whispered sweetly, lowering himself down and kissing the top of her head.

"No, I was just getting some air." (Y/N) smiled in reply and nuzzled herself softly into his chest.

"I have come to thank you for what you have done tonight. I can imagine giving that locket away took a great deal." The dwarf seemed slightly nervous, his voice tired and raspy. He looked down on to her saddened face and frowned with a glower.

"It was nothing, although I have travelled with it all my days. It feels very odd to not have it on me." (Y/N) grabbed at her neck, where the locket would have laid and sighed slightly. "I will miss it."

"Then please, allow me to give you something to at least try and make up for what you have sacrificed..." Thorin pulled himself out of their embrace and started to fumble around anxiously in his pocket, grinning when he produced a small silver bead covered in intricate engravings. He held out her hand and let it fall neatly into her palm as she instantly began to feel it with her fingers and took a great time in studying the design appreciatively. 

"It is beautiful, whatever it is..." (Y/N) teased and flashed him a smirk.

Thorin began to stutter, letting his fingers play off some of his nervousness as they sat on his lap. "It...is a bead of courtship...The patterns are those from the line of Durin; my ancestors. I have kept it safe for a while now with the intention of...giving it to you."