23. Tony - Iron Man

I return to the workshop, letting Avril sit in the chair that I sat in when Pepper tried helping me fix my chest reactor. I get scissors to cut her top off so that I can get to her chest reactor without any problems. I get out of my suit, rushing to get the materials to save A.J.

     "Hang in there, Avril." I say.

     I have to save A.J. I can't let A.J. die. I lost one life, and I'm not losing another. Once I get the materials, I try making a chest reactor as quickly as possible. This is going to be surgically implanted in her chest, to keep her alive for as long as possible- just like me. Hopefully it works.

I've been working on this for an hour now. So far, so good.

     "C'mon, c'mon, c'mon..." I say.

     But it's malfunctioning. I can tell, because it's making beeping noises, and flashing red.

     "No! No! No! Please!" I shout.

     Now it shuts down completely.

     "No! C'mon, Avril! Please! Just wake up!" I beg, shaking Avril.

     She's not waking up. I check for a pulse on her neck... She's gone. I hug her, with tears trickling over my cheeks.

     "Mr. Stark," Ethan says, behind me. "Just give up. She's gone."

     I don't know how he got inside. I lie her on the table, looking back to Ethan.

     "You want to know how long it's been since I've seen Avril?" I ask.

     "Five years." Ethan answers, crossing his arms, like dying is just taking another breath.

     "How can you act so calm?"

     "I'm not calm, Tony! I just feel as bad as you do! A.J. was like a sister to me!" He yelled.

     I grabbed him by the shirt.

     "And you couldn't get to us?" I asked.

     "I would've gotten killed us if I tried finding you, okay? Besides, I don't have an iron suit and a stupid mind like you do. I just have a bow and arrow. So what do you want to me to do now that A.J. is dead, huh? Be the one responsible for her dying? Oh, wait! I know what you could do! You could stop being that rich know-it-all that likes to push people around!"

     He shoves me away from him, and he walks to the windows. I get back into my suit. I'm so ready to shove my foot down this guy's mouth. I'm close to firing a rocket him, but I hear rumbling. The building is going to collapse. I look around with Ethan.

     "Oh boy..." I sigh.

     Ethan looks through the window. His eyes widen.

     "GET OUT!" Ethan shouts.

     Ethan kicks the window, leaping out of the window, and firing an arrow with a rope at the end. I dash out of the building, knowing I shouldn't reach back for A.J. since she's already gone.