Similarities and Differences

"As Christmas drew nearer the similarities between Ron and Draco seemed to grow. Both left by there wives. Both turned t alcohol as a form of pain relief. The other stress relief they both used was to pick up random girls at nightclubs, but no matter how hard it was for everyone to admit was that it was Ron's fault he was in that mess. Draco's however had almost nothing to do with himself.

The wizarding community found it hard to believe that a member of the golden trio was lower than an ex death-eater. It seemed impossible. Yet however impossible it seemed everyone had to come to admit it.

The two of them would frequent nightclubs and bars. When they had started Ron chose wizarding ones and was accepted just as Draco was pushed towards the muggle ones. And after a while, once people found out what really was behind the break ups their roles switched, Draco pulled back to wizarding world whereas Ron was disregarded.

Neither was concerned for the other. Both going through the same thing but from different sides. Draco left to wonder what he did wrong. Ron left with no guess work to be done.

Draco often saw his son, he chose to continue with the role of a father. He let many bad habits return but none had a strong hold over his life. Ron chose only to see his daughter when Hermione went out of the way to make it happen, he saw no use in trying. Habits he'd never had before would take over with no problem if he let them.

Draco came to accept Astoria had a new life. She was never coming back to him. She chose Zabini, it wasn't that he felt no emotion. It was that he simply chose not to let that affect too much of his life. He mightn't of started yet but he knew he just had to get over it and then move on himself.

Ron till thought Hermione was making a mistake that she would realise soon enough and come back crying to him. He thought this was temporary like the time she left for a month that time. He thought she was wrong to judge him so quickly. Especially since he had been drunk.

But he forgot the fact he had been married to the smartest witch of his age. She'd been uncomfortable since she left the first time, he hadn't noticed and she hadn't been ready to let him go."

Hermione woke up slowly in bed. It was the first time in a while she hadn't shot up with her pulse racing ahead of her due to a nightmare. Her dream confusing her, a voice sounded like Dumbledore. Telling her everything similar and different between Malfoy and weasel.

It surprised most people to hear Hermione refer to her ex-husband as weasel. She found it a great way to relieve built up anger. Who knew she'd adopt a Malfoy strategy?

She hadn't seen either of them since Flourish and Blotts. Hermione looked at the calender hung on the wall opposite her bed. Christmas Eve. She knew her daughter would be excited. She had chosen not to go to the Burrow for Christmas for the first time she could remember. 

Just like she'd been told in her dream, Ron never made an effort to see Rose. Hermione was about to give up trying with that man, he was nothing but trouble.

After much deliberation Hermione finally pushed herself out of bed-she had presents to wrap. 

For James she'd got Bertie Botts Every Flavour Beans and a copy of Quidditch through the ages. For Al she had several sugar quills and wands. Since Ginny was almost 5 months pregnant she knew that they'd get mostly baby stuff so Hermione had gotten Ginny earrings and a matching necklace. She always had trouble shopping for Harry but she'd got him several small bottles of Firewhiskey.

She'd already owled sweets for George, Angelina, Roxanne and Fred. Same with Percy, Audrey and the girls. Pretty much the same had been sent to Bill and Fleur, with a few books for the children. She'd sent Firewhiskey to Charlie.

She went through the list her and Rose had written a couple of days ago ticking everyone off. Hermione was going to get something for Ron but when they wrote up the list Rose had told her not to. Once she wrapped up the Potters' presents she tied them to the leg of their new barn owl that Rose had imaginatively named Hooty.  

As she let Hooty out the window the small ginger came bounding in to her room.

"Can we put the tree up NOW?!" Rose asked her mum rather impatiently.

One of the traditions Hermione had had in her family for as long as she could remember was to put all the decorations up on Christmas eve. She could remember how it use to drive her crazy waiting. She couldn't help but laugh at Rose who was jumping up and down on the bed in anticipation.

"Okay. Go and get the box out the cupboard," Hermione told her.

Rose ran out of the room. She had to stand on her tiptoes to reach the door handle. Luckily the Christmas box was on the bottom though. Rose grabbed the sides of it and pulled with all her strength but the box hardly moved. Hermione heard her struggle, she flicked her wand and the box became all most a hundred time lighter. Or at least that's what Rose thought as she was flung back as the box moved with ease.

With much help from Hermione's wand they finally got the box into the lounge. Rose flung the box open and started putting pieces of Christmas tree everywhere.

"We need to actually put it together," Hermione told Rose as she dressed the sofa with fake branches.

"Can we use magic?!" Rose always got really excited when they used magic even though she was only 2 she couldn't wait to go to Hogwarts.

Hermione got her wand. She let Rose have go.

"Okay, so point it at the first piece, swish and flick and say Wingardium Leviosa," Hermione said.

"Wingardium Leviosa," Rose copied perfectly as the first piece rose upwards, her mum told her how to control it and soon she had almost all the pieces together. It took longer than it would to do it by hand because Rose kept forgetting the spell, but it was way more fun.

"I've done it mummy!" Rose squealed when she got the last piece in place.

"Well done. Do you want to do the decorations?"

"No, you'll be quicker but make sure you leave the star for me!" Rose told her mum.

They heard a tap at the window and turned to see Hooty back with presents. Hermione told Rose to let the owl in while she decorated the tree. Rose came back in as Hermione finished all but the star.

"It's from Aunty Ginny. She wishes us a Merry Christmas and says she is upset we're not going to the burrow but she understands," for a two year old Rose's very advanced in her reading but who'd  be surprised given her mother is the smartest witch of her generation.

Hermione put the presents under the tree and picked her daughter up to put the star on the tree as another owl tapped at the window. She let rose down.

The owl was an unfamiliar one. The owl had a note and a small wrapped box.

'Felt I should get you something even if you didn't

-M'

The owl dropped the small box and flew off.

Hermione tried not to think too much f it as she put the small package under the tree.