The Thing That Lurks in the Darkness

To Emily:

It was a dark night, the lights flickered over and over and the TV showed nothing but static.

It was a thunder storm. Yep, it was only that, truth is that I was more than used to this kind of stuff so I didn't gave much importance to it.

"The light bulbs are going to get damaged" I thought, so I turned all the house lights off and I started to do any bullshit that could entertain me to kill some time until the storm was over.

Time went by and nothing seemed to entertain me at all, I had already tried everything, play some card games, read, try to draw, but nothing seemed to work. It was a Saturday, I would be either wasting my time on the computer or losing my time reading some creepypastas. The lack of technology due to the storm was starting to affect me.

Then I remembered my iPod. It must have had like 10% of its battery left, but I had some good videos saved on its memory, so I decided to go walking in the pitch-black darkness until the kitchen, where my iPod was lying on the table. I grabbed it and I started to return to my bedroom.

I was walking, it was really dark, but I knew my house like the palm of my hand so it was quite easy to walk in the darkness. I remember it was awfully dark, it was so dark that I started to see those little, tiny dots that you get to distinguish when you stare deeply into the pitch-black darkness. I didn't gave it much importance, well, at least until I felt that horrifying feeling when you feel that there's an evil presence behind you in the hallway and the only thing you can think of is too run as fast as you can to the fake safety of a lighted room.

But, this time it wasn't like that, I wanted to run and just get the hell out of there, but I just couldn't. It was like if my brain was sending the instruction to run to my legs, but they didn't responded, they just moved helplessly in their place trying to respond desperately before the sensation of danger I was facing.

I was in complete shock, for some reason I was completely paralyzed. I was finally capable to move when a thunder and a lightning illuminated and made a loud, piercing noise in the hallway. As soon as that happened I jumped due to the loud sound of the thunder and ran to my bedroom, I locked the door and I turned on my iPod's light only to stop facing the darkness.

I would like to think that what happened was just a bad dream, a nightmare, a creepy scenario that my twisted mind created...I would really like to think that it was only that, I would love to. I don't want to be in the darkness anymore, I don't want to see those damn little dots in the penumbra, but I can't avoid it. They are always there, looking at me, lurking in the shadows. So I'll just have to accept the crude reality.

Whatever the hell happened that night, was 100% real, how do I know? How am I so sure about this? I'll tell you why...That night, in the hallway, when the lightning illuminated the hallway I could see his face, smiling at me in the now illuminated darkness.