08 | truth or dare

L U E L L A

08:04PM

Throbbing music was blasting through the house that I almost felt the ground shaking. Dressed up drunken teenagers were having the time of their lives as the dancing frat house -as they call it- flowed with people going in and out. The amount of cars parked near made me wonder whether many of them do actually own cars or have borrowed their parents' for the night.

Kate was almost jumping up and down from excitement while I, on the other hand, was having second thoughts. Looking at the amount of people would scare any kind of human being that had spend whole their life in a closed off orphanage -and trying to get rid of any potential adoptions from foster families- only dreaming and fantasizing of these types of parties off watching movies.

"You were fine two minutes ago! What's up now?" Kate groaned, genuinely fed up with me and I shook my head.

"Nothing, I'm.. Let's go in, yeah?" I nod and stare wide-eyed at the scene in front of me. I was undoubtedly petrified, you had no idea. If Kate ever knew what I was thinking of, she'd kick me out of the apartment and wish me happy Halloween. Well, this was really scary enough for said Halloween.

Kate's eyes lit up at my announcement since we've been: 1) standing here for a while, and 2) freezing while standing here for a while. So it was only realistic that after all the work and effort we've put to get to the party that we actually enter the party.

"Really?" Kate gasped and giggled out of relief, practically squealing from excitement.

"Yeah, I wanted to, didn't I? I still want to," I pressed my nails into my palm in determination. Kate started to walk towards the house with dancing lights around and costumed college students holding neon turquoise and pink cups in their hands, swaying around the front yard and about the frat. Hesitation circled down on me again and I squeezed my eyes shut, shaking my head a little.

"I just-"

"Oh, blimey!" Kate had -in half a second- whipped around and caught my arm, starting to drag me down the pavement way to the house. I didn't dare complain, we were late enough and I didn't have much of an excuse.

Self-absorbed enough, I thought I was going to walk in and people will question me and Kate, have their eyes on us and wondering if we were their colleagues. But that thankfully didn't happen at all, either because they were too drunk off their arses or simply used to seeing different faces. This university was vast as well.

"Wow," Kate was gawking and I did the same silently.

The music inside was much louder than outside and people were everywhere in their costumes and weird scary decorations thrown around. Even from where I was standing, I could see the vacancy of the place which was mostly occupied by people in constumes.

"I miss this!"

I look over at Kate and smile when I see her warm expression; she was genuinely happy and satisfied. I hope this night goes well, at least for Kate.

"Yeah? I want to miss this," I raised my voice to speak over the loud music as Kate's soft brown eyes turn to me and grin, giggling slightly as she nudges me with her elbow. My left arm was gripped swiftly as Kate pushed me a bit to start exploring the place.

It seemed rather impossible to do anything but scan the crowd of collegians and studying their Halloween-y outfits. Everyone was all over the area on couches or whatnot; some dancing, some playing, some chatting, and some doing all that altogether.