49 | fragile

L U E L L A

"Do you want me to make you some tea to spill?"

Kate put her hands on her hips as she gave me a look. I sighed and leaned back into the couch.

"I'll take coffee."

"Lu," Kate sat next to me on the couch.

I sighed. "No, you'll start telling me how reckless and fast this is going. Even though you moved fast with Ben, too."

"Woah, hold up," Kate flinched. "What? We're comparing now?"

"No," I shook my head, watching Kate cautiously before I sighed and positioned myself properly so I was facing her with my legs folded under me and a blanket engulfing me. "I just...I'm not in the mood to defend myself or Harry, okay?"

"I get that. But you are jumping into his arms like a desperate little one, which you're not," Kate furrowed her brows. "And you know what, that shithead doesn't deserve you. He'll get around to Poppy again and-"

"Okay, Kate!" My eyebrows scrunched at her. "Thanks for the heads up, geez!"

"I didn't mean that, I...I'm just trying to help!" Kate reasoned, her words rushed. "You don't know anything about-"

"I don't know anything about what, Kate? Really?" My heart clenches and I try to keep my eyes dry but they sting.

"You don't know shit about the world! You don't know how relationships work! You're like an embryo still in their mother's womb. And that dickhead-"

My jaw was by now on my lap and tears are collecting in my eyes to blur my vision. I blink rapidly and stand up. "I can't believe you right now."

"You know the guy for only three months -three months- that were contantly of back and forth shit and Silver and blah blah blah, and now you're all over him like you've fallen in love with him, for Heaven's sake!"

Kate is on her feet, and I'm on mine. She is fuming, her ears and neck crimson. I'm staring at her in disbelief as silence engulfs the both of us that it's almost deafening.

"Now what?" Kate's lips trembled slightly as she spoke, tears clearly threatening to spill. "Now, I'm the bad guy, right?"

"What are you..." I shook my head. "What are you doing? What's wrong?"

"What's wrong is your relationship with Harry." Kate deadpanned, a single tear sliding over her cheek.

"Stop saying that," I chew on the inside of my cheeks.

"Luella, you-" she stopped mid-sentence to take a deep breath and blink back some tears before she looked up at me, "You don't- I can't... Can you just trust me on this one?" I stay silent, mouth still hung open. Kate continues, "Break up with Harry."

"What?" I sputter. "You can't be serious."

"Luella, you don't know what's going on behind y- I'm trying to-"

"You can't tell me what to do," I'm now angry instead of shocked. My whole body is shaking and I don't get the girl standing in front of me. "This has got to be some sick joke-"